CASA link

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

zenobifan

CASA link

#1 Post by zenobifan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:33 pm

How do you get from the forum back to the main page without reusing the website address. Is there a link available on the forum screen that I have missed.

Gunness
Site Admin

Re: CASA link

#2 Post by Gunness » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:38 am

Good question. That's something we should look into. I can manually change the forum code so that the logo in the upper left corner leads back to the main site. But a) this is overwritten whenever the forum software is updated, so we have to keep changing the link and b) it is not in line with the way forums of this type usually work (where clicking the logo leads to the forum's front page).

zenobifan

#3 Post by zenobifan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Could you add a casa home link to jump to the main site

I often find games of interest are first raised in the forums then look to the main site to download the game. I don't know if it is just me who has this problem but it seems more intuitive to look for a home link rather than relocate the website address.

Samwise

#4 Post by Samwise » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Gunness wrote:I can manually change the forum code so that the logo in the upper left corner leads back to the main site. But a) this is overwritten whenever the forum software is updated, so we have to keep changing the link
hmm ... you sure that's the case? I think the link would probably be untouched.
Gunness wrote:and b) it is not in line with the way forums of this type usually work (where clicking the logo leads to the forum's front page).
I know a few forums that do it - there is always the board index link for returning to the forum front page.

As customisations go, I doubt modifying the link would cause you too much hassle ...

Sam.

Gunness
Site Admin

#5 Post by Gunness » Fri May 06, 2011 10:51 am

Samwise wrote:
Gunness wrote:I can manually change the forum code so that the logo in the upper left corner leads back to the main site. But a) this is overwritten whenever the forum software is updated, so we have to keep changing the link
hmm ... you sure that's the case? I think the link would probably be untouched.
All I can say is that the link isn't customizable from with the admin control panel, and after changing it manually and subsequently updating the forum software, the link was overwritten. I tried it twice. But I'll be happy to give it another go.

Samwise

#6 Post by Samwise » Fri May 06, 2011 5:32 pm

In your phpBB's Administration Control Panel ...

Styles tab -> Style Components menu -> Templates -> subsilver2 (or other theme, as appropriate) -> Edit -> Template file -> overall_header.html

Then use your browser's search function to look for:

Code: Select all

<div id="logodesc">
Edit the A HREF HTML link surrounding the {SITE_LOGO_IMG} in there, as appropriate.

That said, I would tend to edit the header file manually and upload it over the top of the original - whether customisations made through the ACP instead are reset after an upgrade, I can't swear to.

Sam.

Mr Creosote

#7 Post by Mr Creosote » Fri May 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Please don't make the logo link in the forum point to the website! It would break any regular habit (not only) I have!

Gunness
Site Admin

#8 Post by Gunness » Sat May 07, 2011 8:57 am

Maybe I came across somewhat unclear. As stated above, I don't think it's a good idea to change what is common practise on most sites. Hence I think the logo should continue linking to the forum front page as this is normal forum behaviour (even if a few forums don't adhere to this rule, as Sam says). What I've tried earlier is to create another link in the form header (where it says "CASA ::". That's what I'll try again.