revision MSX games

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

revision MSX games

#1 Post by Alex » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:02 pm

I've been revising all the MSX games in the database and found some games listed which never have been published for the MSX:

Adventure Without a Name
Bomb Scare
Curse of Volcan, The
Hospital Adventure
Zauberschloss
Dernier Métro, Le

I guess there has been some misunderstanding when I send the solutions for these games together with some solutions for other MSX games a few years ago. The first five I played on the c64 and the last to my knowledge only has been published for the Amstrad an the Oric.
I've deleted them as MSX game.

As far as I know the following game also never has been published for the MSX:

Lord of the Rings: Game One, The

I've never seen it nor read about it in any MSX magazine and I used to have a huge collection before I sold it. The MSX version also isn't mentioned on the list of middle earth games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-ear ... ideo_games

I haven't deleted it as MSX game yet, because I don't know why this game has been added as a MSX game. But if nobody else knows about a MSX version I guess this one also should be deleted as MSX game.

I now own copies of almost all the MSX games in the database except :

Castle Blackstar
Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
Passengers on the Wind
Passagers Du Vent 2, Les

I know these games exist because I have seen screenshots and/or the manual but unfortunately I can't find them on the internet. (If anyone has a copy I'm very interested)

I still have several games which until now are not included in the database. I will add them when I have time, but I never add a game without owning a copy and at least playing the game once (yes I actually played all the games I've added to the database :) ). Because of this it will take some time. Another problem is that a lot of games for the MSX only have been published in Japanese and although I do speak several languages Japanese unfortunately isn't one of them.

dave

Re: revision MSX games

#2 Post by dave » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:46 pm

I wonder whether some of these games are for some of the pre-MSX (or near MSX) computers, like the SC-3000 and the SVI-318? There seems to be a lot of confusion in the scene about MSX machines, probably as BlueMSX will run the near MSX computers.

Eriorg

#3 Post by Eriorg » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Alex wrote:I've been revising all the MSX games in the database and found some games listed which never have been published for the MSX:

Adventure Without a Name
Bomb Scare
Curse of Volcan, The
Hospital Adventure
Zauberschloss
Dernier Métro, Le

I guess there has been some misunderstanding when I send the solutions for these games together with some solutions for other MSX games a few years ago. The first five I played on the c64 and the last to my knowledge only has been published for the Amstrad an the Oric.
I've deleted them as MSX game.
About Le Dernier Métro: I thought it had been published on the MSX because of a short review in the July/August 1985 issue of the French magazine Tilt.

Do you think there was a mistake in this magazine? At least, the screenshot is not from the Amstrad CPC version (I've just checked: there's a similar, but not at all identical, screen near the beginning of the game). Is it from the Oric version? If it isn't, we could be pretty sure it was on the MSX.

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:11 pm

dave wrote:I wonder whether some of these games are for some of the pre-MSX (or near MSX) computers, like the SC-3000 and the SVI-318? There seems to be a lot of confusion in the scene about MSX machines, probably as BlueMSX will run the near MSX computers.
Well, you're right BlueMSX can play games which weren't written for the MSX standard but for similar computers like the Spectravideo or Sega's sc-3000 as well. These computers used the same processor as the MSX. Later versions of the Spectravideo were able to play some MSX1 games and with a small fix it was possible to play Spectravideo games on the MSX as well. This makes it dificult to differentiate which games are written for which format in times, but I'm pretty sure this is not the case with the above games. I think there has been made a mistake for the reason I mentioned above. I double-checked searching each game on the internet but I'm very sure these were never published for the MSX.
Eriorg wrote:About Le Dernier Métro: I thought it had been published on the MSX because of a short review in the July/August 1985 issue of the French magazine Tilt.Do you think there was a mistake in this magazine? At least, the screenshot is not from the Amstrad CPC version (I've just checked: there's a similar, but not at all identical, screen near the beginning of the game). Is it from the Oric version? If it isn't, we could be pretty sure it was on the MSX.
you got me puzzled for a while because I was the one who updated the screenshots on casa for this game and I did make them from the Amstrad. But fortunately I solved this little problem:

If you answer "Non" to the question "Désirez vouz savoir dans quel galere vous vous etes fourre(e)?" ,the first picture you see is the screenshot I've uploaded. However this was the first game I've ever played on an amstrad emulator and when I made the first screenshot it appears I made a screenshot from an unfinshed version of the screen :oops: (the drawing wasn't finished yet). I will replace this one with a finished version. When you type enter after this picture you see the second screenshot I made.

The game is bugged and a fixed game is available. See below link for more information about the bug and also a solution to the game:

http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=2979

I also own a copy of the oric version. I don't know if this has the same bug.

When I saw this game added to the site I was very interested because I didn't know this "MSX game". I never read anything about it in my MSX magazines. Because a lot of the MSX adventure games are Japanese only (and therefore unplayable to me :( ) I'm always glad to encounter a new MSX adventure. I searched the internet about this game and found information about the game and the company who published the game and a list of games published by the company but they only mention the Amstrad and Oric version. I searched English, Dutch, French, Spanish, Russian and Japanese MSX sites (for the latter two I used Google translate :) ) but none mention this game. It seems very unlikely to me a MSX version of this game exists.

Alex

#5 Post by Alex » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:55 pm

Eriorg wrote:I thought it had been published on the MSX because of a short review in the July/August 1985 issue of the French magazine Tilt.
I just found a similar review from the same magazine in number 28 of february 1986:

http://www.cpc-power.com/images/tests/2979_1.jpg

It's strange they mention the MSX release, because they are the only source who mention the MSX version. It appears to be some mistake or perhaps it was intented to be published for the MSX but never has been released.

Eriorg

#6 Post by Eriorg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:27 am

Alex wrote:you got me puzzled for a while because I was the one who updated the screenshots on casa for this game and I did make them from the Amstrad. But fortunately I solved this little problem:

If you answer "Non" to the question "Désirez vouz savoir dans quel galere vous vous etes fourre(e)?" ,the first picture you see is the screenshot I've uploaded. However this was the first game I've ever played on an amstrad emulator and when I made the first screenshot it appears I made a screenshot from an unfinshed version of the screen :oops: (the drawing wasn't finished yet). I will replace this one with a finished version. When you type enter after this picture you see the second screenshot I made.
No, that's not what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear! I meant the screenshot from the Tilt magazine review, not the screenshot from the CASA website.

On the Amstrad CPC version, if you answer "O" to the question "Désirez-vous savoir [etc.]", wait until the text ends, then press a key, the first picture you see (you can also see it on the CPC Power site!) is similar to the screenshot in the magazine, but also different: it seems that it's not the same version.

If you have the Oric version, you can check if the screenshot from the magazine is from the Oric version. If it isn't, then it's neither Amstrad nor Oric, so it's probably MSX just like the magazine says.

Eriorg

#7 Post by Eriorg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:35 am

And on the CPC Power website, I've just found a second source: an advertisement for the Micro Programmes 5 publisher which does say the game Dernier Métro is for "AMSTRAD, MSX, ORIC"!

Alex

#8 Post by Alex » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:02 am

Eriorg wrote:And on the CPC Power website, I've just found a second source: an advertisement for the Micro Programmes 5 publisher which does say the game Dernier Métro is for "AMSTRAD, MSX, ORIC"!

:thumb: question solved then ! I've added the MSX platform again to the game and I will add the game to my list of wanted games. However I doubt I'll ever find a copy because it seems to be very rare.