R. Dunn - the same author or two different people?

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Alastair

R. Dunn - the same author or two different people?

#1 Post by Alastair » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Both The Shrinking Professor's Quest and Danger Island were written by someone called R. Dunn. Does anyone know if the same person wrote both games or not? Also, if it turns out that they are not the same person should a new "R. Dunn" be entered into the database (assuming this is possible and there is a way to distinguish between the two), or should the same "R. Dunn" be used for both games?

dave

Re: R. Dunn - the same author or two different people?

#2 Post by dave » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Hard to tell; "R. Dunn" is not the most unique anglo-saxon initial and surname; but there's a couple of years between the two games so it could be the same author. More research is needed.

Then again, a quick search found a game for the BBC called Horror Castle (which can be found in the database), where the rems state:
BY R.DUNN CONVERTED TO THE BBC BY J.SNOWDEN AND R.DUNN
And the game is for the BBC and the Dragon.
Last edited by dave on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Creosote

#3 Post by Mr Creosote » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:06 am

Alastair wrote:assuming this is possible and there is a way to distinguish between the two
Confirmed

Alastair

#4 Post by Alastair » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:17 pm

dave wrote:Then again, a quick search found a game for the BBC called Horror Castle (which can be found in the database), where the rems state:
BY R.DUNN CONVERTED TO THE BBC BY J.SNOWDEN AND R.DUNN
And the game is for the BBC and the Dragon.
That's interesing as there is an adventure for the Dragon called The Shrunken Scientist and I had wondered if it was the same game as The Shrinking Professor's Quest given the similar theme of the games. Because of this I was reluctant to add The Shrunken Scientist until such a time as I could find and test a copy of the game.

However, spurred on by this new insight I've looked through a few copies of Dragon User (a magazine) and found the article where The Shrunken Scientist is mentioned. The back-story for the game given by the article is near identical to that given by this site for The Shrinking Professor's Quest, so I now conclude that they are the same game.

My Dragon User search also revealed that Horror Castle was later re-released as Terror Castle. This means that Terror Castle is a duplicate of Horror Castle and so should be deleted. It's just a pity that the Further Info searches don't work with the Aka titles.

dave

#5 Post by dave » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Good investigation work! I've removed Terror Castle now.

It's so much easier when you have a copy of the game!