New site name?

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Gunness
Site Admin

Re: New site name?

#16 Post by Gunness » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi Pippa,
thanks for the input :) Appreciate it!
It's a clever name but I'm not too keen on it, I'm afraid - for a number of reasons:
1. People seem to agree that "solutionarchive.com" is a good domain name, and it's not part of the name you suggest.
2. It has the same problem as the current acronym: To me, "Supporters" only suggests assistance (a la "solutions"), but not the fact that CASA is an information database as well.
3. It's a bit on the longish side, but that's a minor objection :)

Mr Creosote

#17 Post by Mr Creosote » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Gunness wrote:1. People seem to agree that "solutionarchive.com" is a good domain name, and it's not part of the name you suggest.
These are two observations, but they don't combine into a clear objection. So I feel I have to ask: So?

Gunness
Site Admin

#18 Post by Gunness » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:55 pm

Mr Creosote wrote:
Gunness wrote:1. People seem to agree that "solutionarchive.com" is a good domain name, and it's not part of the name you suggest.
These are two observations, but they don't combine into a clear objection. So I feel I have to ask: So?
I made a comment about this in a previous post. It seems to be fairly commonplace that the domain name and site name are somehow related - I can't think of too many popular sites where this isn't the case. Makes sense, too, as it makes it easier to remember both domain and site name.

Alastair

#19 Post by Alastair » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Jacob, since you haven't asked about logo progress I thought that I would post my most recent effort :lol:

I'll probably remove the right hand wall and replace it with a hill with paths leading up it and some other typical adventure related objects may appear.
Attachments
logo_07.png
logo_07.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 4857 times

Mr Creosote

#20 Post by Mr Creosote » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:19 am

Gunness wrote:
Mr Creosote wrote:
I made a comment about this in a previous post. It seems to be fairly commonplace that the domain name and site name are somehow related - I can't think of too many popular sites where this isn't the case. Makes sense, too, as it makes it easier to remember both domain and site name.
Last time I checked, all browsers had a bookmark function. Also: As several people already pointed out, solutionarchive.com does not need to remain the primary domain name of the site to retain it.

Gunness
Site Admin

#21 Post by Gunness » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm

@Alastair: sorry, I didn't realise you had made it this far :D The house looks good! Colours are spot on. I think Hannes' previous suggestion:
a house, visually cut open to reveal a winding path/twisty little passages inside and probably a guy following such a passage holding a lantern?
sounded very promising.
We still need somehow to connect CASA/Classic Adventures Solution Archive with solutionarchive.com (unless we go for a new, primary domain name, as Hannes suggests below).
But keep up your efforts, and I'll keep asking around for ideas.
Mr Creosote wrote:Last time I checked, all browsers had a bookmark function.
Sure they do - but as you probably know, people tend to use other computers than their own. Where they don't have access to their bookmarks. Unless they use del.icio.us or a similar service, which I have a hunch that many people do not use.
Furthermore, if I want to feel somewhat professional when representing the site, I feel it's a lot easier to contact people if I can say that I work on a site whose name and domain name are somehow tied. As opposed to "Hi, I'm from The Solution Archive (www.adventurewalkthroughs.com)" :)
Mr Creosote wrote:Also: As several people already pointed out, solutionarchive.com does not need to remain the primary domain name of the site to retain it.
Erm.... several? I thought it was only you? ;)
But several people - including yourself - did point out that it would probably be difficult to get a good domain name. And in general, I think it's a mess having different domain names, unless they're closely related (casa.net vs casa.com, solution-archive.com vs solutionarchive.com)

pippa

#22 Post by pippa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Gunness wrote:2. It has the same problem as the current acronym: To me, "Supporters" only suggests assistance (a la "solutions"), but not the fact that CASA is an information database as well.
Interesting point. I was thinking more along the lines of a football team's supporters: people who care passionately about the team and defend its reputation against its rivals.

But if you're determined to have a name that includes Solution Archive without giving the impression that this is a solution archive, then I can't help you! :?
[b]~~[i] Pippa [/i]~~[/b]

Gunness
Site Admin

#23 Post by Gunness » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Ah, I hadn't though along those lines :)

If I have given the impression that CASA isn't a solution archive any longer, then I haven't expressed myself very well. It certainly is. But it's also a lot more than that these days, and that's what should be expressed somehow.
One option is to get a new site name - and the way I see it, "solution archive" should somehow be part of it, unless we were to ditch the domain name (which doesn't seem like a good idea)

Alastair

#24 Post by Alastair » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Gunness wrote:@Alastair: sorry, I didn't realise you had made it this far :D The house looks good! Colours are spot on. I think Hannes' previous suggestion:
a house, visually cut open to reveal a winding path/twisty little passages inside and probably a guy following such a passage holding a lantern?
sounded very promising.
I wanted the "CASA" in the house to be a cut-out that revealed the aforementioned twisty passages, but at the scale of the picture it's a little difficult to put in that detail within the letter openings. I suppose I could put a big hole (or several) in the roof and place the passages there, this could also help to lighten the image.

Mr Creosote

#25 Post by Mr Creosote » Tue May 01, 2012 7:06 am

pippa wrote:The most important thing is to keep the Classic Adventures part, since the site doesn't do very much modern IF
Just concerning this: To me, any primarily text-based adventure game is a 'classic' adventure. The time it was released does not even come into it, it's all about the style which is 'classic'. So I don't think there is a problem with this word in any case.

Gunness
Site Admin

#26 Post by Gunness » Wed May 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Alastair wrote:I wanted the "CASA" in the house to be a cut-out that revealed the aforementioned twisty passages, but at the scale of the picture it's a little difficult to put in that detail within the letter openings. I suppose I could put a big hole (or several) in the roof and place the passages there, this could also help to lighten the image.
Maybe just a single insert, to help the image scale better. While we're at it, what do "twisty passages" look like if stylized, anyway? I guess my imagination is somewhat limited when it comes to visuals :)

I guess the brass lantern is a bit overdone, otherwise that would have been a neato alternative.

I still think we have to integrate the site name somehow.
Preferrably by emphasizing the last part - ie CASA - ClassicAdventuresSolutionArchive.com or some clever graphical variation on this.

Alastair

#27 Post by Alastair » Wed May 02, 2012 9:22 pm

To create more space I put 'CASA' on the roof and removed most of the side of the house, so now there is a large empty space waiting to be filled.
Attachments
logo_10.png
logo_10.png (3.46 KiB) Viewed 4773 times

terri

#28 Post by terri » Fri May 04, 2012 3:26 am

Should there be any problem with copying a photo that's been copywrited, I have a photo of house of a friend of mine, that was taken over by a movie company who "doctored" it for their shoot. It's a black-and-white photo.

I should be able to (with help) create a .jpg file and send it to anyone who can play around with such things.

Let me know.

Quantum

#29 Post by Quantum » Tue May 08, 2012 10:44 am

As for acronyms, I'm fresh out of ideas. For a tag line I'm thinking "CASA: the great underground house of adventures", or CASA: where Adventurers go to get info." If you guys were thinking a jingle:
"It's where adventurers go, to get info:
Casa:
C A S A!" Throw a jazzy rhythm with that, slap that baby on the radio, or even just on the site, come up with a cool logo (perhaps an adventurer-like person, in a dark cave, holding a microcomputer of some sort, something small, with a brass lantern next to him on the ground), come up with a cool acronym and we're good to go. Keep the domain name if you wish, but I think casa.net, casa.com or casa-games.com would be a nice change.