Duplicate Prisoner Entries?

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

Alastair

Duplicate Prisoner Entries?

#1 Post by Alastair » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:37 pm

terri

Re: Duplicate Prisoner Entries?

#2 Post by terri » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:29 am

Since I posted one solution to one of these games, I would like to make a comment, i.e. I agree with the confusion.

Hope you have some success in solving this dilemma.

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Much as I like The Prisoner, trying to tell apart the many games based on it has been a nightmare. I can't remember the details right now, but I'm almost certain that the game entries themselves are correct, and that the solutions have been assigned incorrectly.

I will try to update the entries a.s.a.p.

dave

#4 Post by dave » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:07 pm

A quick search on Google found this page where some seems to have got hold of the versions and got screen shots.

The versions that seem to have snaps on WoS are:
  • No 6, The Prisoner, by Francis A Shailes; neither of the 3 solutions match the game.
  • Prisoner Number 6 which matches all 3 solutions in the above games.
  • The Prisoner of the Village which is different again, as the reviews imply that there are graphics.
  • The Prisoner which may or may not be the Prisoner of the Village (it has graphics at least).
  • The Prisoner which may or may not be the Prisoner of the Village (it has graphics at least).
All were written with the Quill.

Gunness
Site Admin

#5 Post by Gunness » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:08 pm

Ok, here goes. I finally managed to sort out the different games. The page Dave linked to got several things right and a few things wrong.

What we end up with are the following:
  • The Prisoner by Francis A Shailes, (C) 1986/1988. WoS link . All solutions and hints belonged to the Adventure Software version:
  • Prisoner No.6 by Adventure Software. WoS link which matches all 3 solutions in the above games.
  • The Prisoner of the Village by Spoof Software, (C) 1984. WoS link. Seems to be missing. In her solution (which worked for the Adventure Software release) Dorothy wrote that it was actually for Francis Shailes' version, released by Spoof. However, I think she might have mixed up some information here. The Spoof release may be identical to one of the other games, but given the time of release, I think it's a game of its own.
  • The Prisoner by Carol & Paul Bradbury, (C) 1984. WoS link.
  • The Prisoner by Stephen Preston, Flame Software, (C) 1984. WoS link which may or may not be the Prisoner of the Village (it has graphics at least).
All were written with the Quill, to make things more confusing.
Other than these games, we also have The Girl Who Was Death, Arrival, Number 6 in the Village and The Village. Whew! ;) That's at least nine games based on the series. Which, I might add, I am a big fan of, so maybe I should write something more on this topic.

For now, I've added a brief description to the different "The Prisoner" games to help distinguish them.

Mr Creosote

#6 Post by Mr Creosote » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:59 pm

Gunness wrote:Whew! ;) That's at least nine games based on the series. Which, I might add, I am a big fan of, so maybe I should write something more on this topic.
You're going to write a new Prisoner game? Looking forward to it :P

dave

#7 Post by dave » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:39 am

Mr Creosote wrote:
Gunness wrote:Whew! ;) That's at least nine games based on the series. Which, I might add, I am a big fan of, so maybe I should write something more on this topic.
You're going to write a new Prisoner game? Looking forward to it :P
Cool; with your encyclopaedic knowledge of text adventures we should get something good coming out of it :-)

Gunness
Site Admin

#8 Post by Gunness » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:57 am

You are both right. I should write a new game - nine titles are too few by far ;)

Best regards,
Number 6