Help needed - Heroes of Karn C64

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Denny

Help needed - Heroes of Karn C64

#1 Post by Denny » Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:06 pm

I'm stuck trying to get past the serpent in the C64 version of Heroes of Karn, most frustrating as i've done it before but whatever i try doesn't seem to work.

The solution on here is for the Spectrum saying "Attack serpent with bird", on the C64 you have to use, Say to Beren "attack serpent with bird" but all sorts of permutations won't work.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you.

Exemptus

Re: Help needed - Heroes of Karn C64

#2 Post by Exemptus » Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:53 pm

Denny wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:06 pm
The solution on here is for the Spectrum saying "Attack serpent with bird", on the C64 you have to use, Say to Beren "attack serpent with bird" but all sorts of permutations won't work.
In the C64, the right command is:

say to Beren "set bird on serpent"

The word Beren needs to be capitalized, since the C64 parser is case sensitive (a rare feature, and a source of annoyance).

Denny

#3 Post by Denny » Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:46 pm

Thank you so much, i was trying all sorts of permutations with no luck. The most frustrating part was i'd completed this game a while ago and couldn't remember what i'd used.

The most ironic part is before i went to bed i thought of trying what you said lol, must of been somewhere at the back of my mind.

Thanks again Exemptus :thumb:

Denny

#4 Post by Denny » Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:36 pm

To add further confusion i've completed the game on the Commodore 64, taken all the Heroes and treasures back but no ending screen. How very strange.

Exemptus

#5 Post by Exemptus » Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:26 pm

Denny wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:36 pm
To add further confusion i've completed the game on the Commodore 64, taken all the Heroes and treasures back but no ending screen. How very strange.
Just in case someone else is looking for this same issue: the ending for the game is triggered once we return to the cottage with all heroes and all treasures are *dropped* there. There are a number of treasure objects, but they are pretty obvious (anything jewelled, or made of gold or silver).