Ziggarat of Dread

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

dave

#46 Post by dave » Thu May 14, 2009 7:18 pm

That's part of the challenge. The .SNA is at http://www.davidlodge.me.uk/ziggurat%20fixed.SNA. It'll be there for a while (basically until I need to put other stuff there and need my space back - so about a year or so).

I have a half formed GUEmap map if that'll help.

terri

#47 Post by terri » Fri May 15, 2009 3:42 am

Aaahhh - the challenge of retrieving lost memories and/or notes. Lord love us, Dave, you think this is do-able, eh? I will try (with the hope that at least I typed up what I did). Reading my own writing is becoming a challenge in itself, let alone recalling what it is that I meant to write/do.

I am glad most of the world is younger than I am. Otherwise I would fear that if it would be left to those of us doddering and teetering, it would grind to a halt.

Isn't it wonderful that people have interests/talents in so many areas? I am grateful, just wish that the pace would slow down a tad...

Now, please, a hint for getting the key in the other game.

PS You are not the only one who functions on 5 hrs of sleep.

dave

#48 Post by dave » Fri May 15, 2009 12:43 pm

I've just finished it, though the ending is rather... erm... disappointing:
HUGE BLOCKS OF MASONARY ARE SHOWERING DOWN AS THE ZIGGARAT OF DREAD FALLS TO THE GROUND. IF YOU ARE CLEAR OF THE BUILDINGAND YOUR SISTER, YELDA, IS WITH YOU THEN YOU CAN CONSIDER YOURSELF AS A HERO. IF YOUR ARE STILL IN THE BUILDING THEN YOU ARE DEAD. IF YELDA IS NOT WITH YOU THEN SHE IS DEAD.
There seems to be text for another ending, but with no way to access it.

Doreen B

ziggarat of dread

#49 Post by Doreen B » Fri May 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Well I'v finally managed to get to the point where Im stuck - I managed yet again the kill the high priest and get the symbol and went south back to the stairs.

Now there are 2 force screens (bottom of stairs) which I have got rid of 'point bone wand) and the 2nd force screen (in airy chamber) - which I can't get rid of - pointing the wand does not work here....

I think you not only have to rescue your sister, but to also kill all mutated beings, also it mentions something about getting items for the seer to heal your brother is that correct?

dave

Re: ziggarat of dread

#50 Post by dave » Fri May 15, 2009 4:15 pm

Doreen B wrote:Now there are 2 force screens (bottom of stairs) which I have got rid of 'point bone wand) and the 2nd force screen (in airy chamber) - which I can't get rid of - pointing the wand does not work here....
You need something to get passed this force screen which you need to SHOW to the screen.
Doreen B wrote:I think you not only have to rescue your sister, but to also kill all mutated beings, also it mentions something about getting items for the seer to heal your brother is that correct?
I've killed all the mutated beings and priests, I've rescued my sister, but I can't work out what the items for the seer are. Looking at the source, that ending seems to be impossible to get to.

terri

#51 Post by terri » Sat May 16, 2009 2:31 am

I've re-read all these posts. I don't recall any spike, not any symbol.

I have the stake - what to put in the small hole? (below the ziggarat.

terri

#52 Post by terri » Sat May 16, 2009 5:06 am

Well, I managed to finish without getting Zelda.

I know how to get her out. But I can't get out of the area (where the spear is). Examing the slimy walls gets you a small hole, but I do not know what to insert in it to get out.

I believe you need to visit this location before you deal with dreshnig, as there are just enough moves to get out.

dave

#53 Post by dave » Sat May 16, 2009 9:02 am

terri wrote:I know how to get her out. But I can't get out of the area (where the spear is). Examing the slimy walls gets you a small hole, but I do not know what to insert in it to get out.
In the other entrance to the Ziggarat, there's a mutated slave next to a pile of rubbish. If you search the rubbish you'll find a metal spike. If you insert that spike into the hole the entrance will open.

terri

#54 Post by terri » Sat May 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks Dave,

Yes, I finally found the spike. Thought I had inserted it, but I guess not.

Will try again.

Doreen B

ziggarat of dread

#55 Post by Doreen B » Sat May 16, 2009 9:25 pm

Although the metal spike is inserted in the hole - you are still holding it!

so just drop it in the room, it is not needed again.

terri

#56 Post by terri » Sun May 17, 2009 4:24 am

I have finished. Though the message is still the same, regardless. Fixing that would have been a nicer touch.

I am trying to write it up, though given the state of my notes, this isn't easy. Will do hints as well.

You are getting first credit (having debugged the game, of course).

I am not sure what Jacob is doing with the "fixed" games, but I am making references to those fixed games. He really needs to post them somewhere accessible. Alastair has re-written a few too.

Thanks Dave. This has been a challenge.

dave

#57 Post by dave » Thu May 21, 2009 7:55 am

terri wrote:I have finished. Though the message is still the same, regardless. Fixing that would have been a nicer touch.
That's harder to fix - replacing the exit is easy as you've got a good idea of what was meant to happen. Whereas changing the ending message means that I've got to second guess the author's intentions.

The line that calls the "best message" is:
6000 FOR I=1 TO 10: IF O(31,I)=51 THEN GO TO 6010
This basically says that if object 51 (Krankabold) is in room 31 (At the top of a massive stone staircase) then the condition is met. There seems to be no way of getting Krankabold to move! Looking at other code from this company, they do tend to have a lot of incomplete puzzles which have been removed in their code.

terri

#58 Post by terri » Fri May 22, 2009 12:17 am

I didn't mean that you needed to fix the ending. I meant that having a different ending depending on what one does would have been nice.

Oh well. Onward and upward.