Mystery of Silver Mountain

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

terri

#31 Post by terri » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:14 am

Amby - don't drop the sheet.

Doreen - Managed to enter the force room.

There are magic words at three locations - what do I need to do to "read" them? Does it matter which order I see them?

Doreen B

magic words

#32 Post by Doreen B » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:23 pm

Magic words are listed in the book in the library, with a graphic representation beside each one.

GUIDE - At the crossroads the clue is an arrow
AWAKE - At the fountain the clue is an eye.
HELP - At the high walled garden the clue is a 'C'
PROTECT - At the stone circle the clue is the 9 dots
LEAD - High pinnacle the clue is an arrow OR this last one is random.

The ones you need to say to slay the wizard are:

SAY MAGIC WORDS - SAY AWAKE - SAY GUIDE - SAY .... (what you were given in the book)

You will need to re-enter the castle area via the 'bell' location and into the dungeons.
Ogban should be dead now - thats the area south of the Hall Moziacs.

Hope this helps more.

Doreen

terri

#33 Post by terri » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:41 am

Needless to say, there are no graphic representations about the magic words. I am not sure how to proceed without them. Is one supposed to go to these places and "see" them or do something else? Let's assume one had the graphic - so you would see a picture of an arrow, then go to the crossroads, then what.

Also when I examined the books in the library, I only got three magic words, so obviously I missed a few steps in between, to get the other two clues. I am missing the clue at the high-walled garden and at the stone circle. What do I need to do to get 5 clues?

And these other objects that I picked up - they must be good for something? The silver plate?

Is there any way to remove the brick from the well?

Does it matter where you say the magic words, or as you supposed to say them at their respective locations? Didn't even realize that these words slay the wizard.

This really is not a playable game on an emulator without the original specs. I am almost all set to give this up.

Amby

#34 Post by Amby » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:53 am

re: the maze. Is there anything else to do there other than move the rubble (revealing a steep passage I can't use)?

Now where are the matches? If someone tells me they were to be found 35 locations ago in some unmentioned object in some underdescribed location I think I might just cry :(

Terri - I hear your pain. This game would be absolutely impossible for me to play without you and Doreen telling me what to do every few moves. I simply can't seem to guess what the author considered to be "what I might expect" at any given location.

Amby

#35 Post by Amby » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:32 am

Never mind any of my questions. I just noticed that Jacob posted the new url for Dorothy Irene's site, which includes the solution to this game as well as a zillion others.

Hmmm, so Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Goldwood & Prisoner are already solved - that leaves us with Ziggarat yes?

terri

#36 Post by terri » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:19 am

I visited Dorothy's site yesterday. Awesome site, no? Apparently I missed Prisoner and Silver Mountain, but I downloaded 6 other solutions to 6 of my unfinished games. However, I do have more.
But I do feel bad about hogging all the air time, so to speak.
If you have an unfinished game, or Doreen, I'd be glad to take turns. I'll probably have to pick up some new emulators, if they're not Speccy games. I am thinking no C64 games, as those were mostly the ones Dorothy played, wrote, tested, solved, etc. There probably isn't one that she hasn't tackled.

With Ziggy, we are waiting to see if QN can manage to fix the bug.

terri

#37 Post by terri » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:29 am

Prisoner isn't among Dorothy's solutions, so join in quick.

Kered Drahcir

#38 Post by Kered Drahcir » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:07 am

Ive found two different versions of the game. One is based on the game but built in a text adventure creator. The other is the original version and uses a ZX Spectrum emulator.

In the first version there were problems with the maze between the inscribed cavern and the goblin graveyard and so the inscription was changed to something meaningless and you cou,d go straight to the cave of stalagmites and stalactites. From there you could get the hollow tomb without needing the rope.
You couldn't get the sheet after using the boat and the rope got you down the well.

I have two questions therefore on very different points of the game. In the version on the ZX Spectrum emulator, how do you get down the steep slope? I know I need to use the rope but can't attach it to anything, or do I need to clear the rubble and then use the rope in the other direction? That's a point. Is the sloap going up or down? I imagined it going down but it may go up. Actually I've just tried it going the other way and it didn't ask for the rope. Maybe I should have attached it at the hollow tomb because it means I can't go back, although I wouldn't have thought I need to. My inventory says apples rather than apple so I can pay the pony for two more trips unless it gives me more apples than I need.

In the other version I've read the book in the library and found the Stone of Destiny. How do I find the magic words? I was near to then mosaic hallway and tried all sorts of things which didn't work. I then decided I might have to find them in order but have had no luck at the crossroads either. I assume since I could go from the mosaic hall that I have all the magic objects but I can't work out how to get the magic words.

One last point. Previous posts say you have to say the magic words to deal with the wizard. What's wrong with reflecting his glare with the Silver Plate from the Silver Throne Room. It's much easier I knew right from the beginning what I'd have to do and had a good idea that it would be the Silver Plate I'd be using to do it.
Personally I think Ogban and the wizard were too easy to deal with. It is pretty obvious.

I know this is and old forum but can anybody help. I assume this is the last hurdle. I notice that you've found solutions but I'd rather get a clue.
Professor Sarah Bellum

A midget fortune teller who escapes from prison is a small medium at large.

Colin Appleby

Re: Mystery of Silver Mountain

#39 Post by Colin Appleby » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:55 am

Has anyone got a Basic listing of "Mystery of Silver Mountain" they can post. I note that the Youtube video for this game has a part Basic listing shown in the video. If the original was in C language or Machine code has this been ported to Basic and has anyone got a copy. Regards
Colin

Kered Drahcir

#40 Post by Kered Drahcir » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:50 pm

I've got the code in Basic but it is ten pages long. You'd be better off getting hold of the Speulator and getting the Spectrum version of the game I found. I would save hours of programming and debugging.
Professor Sarah Bellum

A midget fortune teller who escapes from prison is a small medium at large.

Colin Appleby

#41 Post by Colin Appleby » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Would appreciate the Basic code listing to convert to NewBrain Basic. The Programming and debugging would not be a major problem as I have converted other programs to the NewBrain like "Planet of Death" by Jim Gerrie.
Best Regards
Colin

Alastair

#42 Post by Alastair » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:12 am

The game comes from one of the free Usborne 1980s computer books that I mentioned earlier this year. It is still available from Usborne, just click on the image of the book with the same title.

jgerrie

#43 Post by jgerrie » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:53 am

I've got various sources of it here and my latest for the MC-10 (#5)

https://github.com/jggames/trs80mc10/bl ... ILVER5.TXT

Jim

Zuperfaust

#44 Post by Zuperfaust » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:24 am

Alastair wrote:The game comes from one of the free Usborne 1980s computer books that I mentioned earlier this year. It is still available from Usborne, just click on the image of the book with the same title.
Or, in other words, here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxv0Ss ... ef=2&pli=1
;-)

Colin Appleby

#45 Post by Colin Appleby » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks for the link to the Osborne book for Mystery of Silver Mountain. Have put it on my list to convert to NewBrain Basic.

I have already converted many text adventures to NewBrain Basic and they all run on the amazing NewBrain Emulator.
These are:-
Planet of Death
The Road To Valhala
Madam Fifi
The Orient Express
Ziggaret of Dread
Security Shelter
Cry Wolf
Horror Atoll
Never Trust a Blond
Goblin Crusher
Lost in Bermuda