Mystery of Silver Mountain

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Amby

#1 Post by Amby » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:32 am

I just started this one. So far I have bread and boots (which make me invisible but that doesn't get me past the troll or goblin). I've also learned that the stone circle has 9 stones and that the door in the stable has a horseshoe that is firmly nailed on (and removing the door from it's hinges doesn't loosen the horseshoe).

No real question yet - just getting this thread started, although I suspect I will be back soon asking for a hint :)

Doreen B

mystery silver mountain

#2 Post by Doreen B » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:20 pm

This is one I have completed if you need a hint.

Doreen

terri

how lovely

#3 Post by terri » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:25 am

Hi Doreen,
Bless you. Maybe I should just send you a list of all my unfinished games, and you get give me hints. But then others wouldn't have the pleasure/frustration of playing along. :)

Anyway, hope you got my goldwood hints.

Re silver mountain:
I have the boots, sheet, bread, horseshoe. and saw the circle. I need a hint about what to do next.

terri

oops

#4 Post by terri » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:30 am

I don't have the horseshoe

Amby

#5 Post by Amby » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:44 am

Sheet? What sheet?

Doreen B

#6 Post by Doreen B » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:39 pm

Hi all,

Amby - the sheet is on the bed - examine bed.
where the chest is in the cottage (the chest is empty) examine pot to find some coins.
So at the troll give coin NOTE that you should NOT give COINS.
You should now be able to cross bridge which will open up the game.

Hope this helps you get further.

Doreen

Amby

#7 Post by Amby » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:31 pm

Thanks Doreen. I hadn't realized that when the game responded to my attempts to examine locations with "you see what you might expect" that meant I should try all the objects I would actually expect to see there. Duh.

And even now knowing that, I don't know that I would have thought to try 'pot'. Thanks again.

terri

pray tell...

#8 Post by terri » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:34 am

I could not find anything in the cottage to suggest that there was a chest, and a pot there. Did some documentation come with the game, that we are unaware of?

Kvetching aside, I have made some progress but am stuck.

The leaky bucket - is it fixable, or a red herring?

Getting past the boar. He eats the apples and the bread, but then what.

I have not gone back and tried to chop the door that the horseshoe is on. Is this needed?

I presume I need something to either tie a "sail" to the boat, or some source of power. And if the boat starts to leak?

Getting something to water the seeds with.

What to use the axe for.

And of course, missing objects that aren't there, i.e. should I be saying something in some locations.

Thanks in advance, Doreen.

Amby

#9 Post by Amby » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:59 am

re: the boat. GET BOAT. USE SHEET. W. etc.

I didn't see anything in the game to indicate the presence of a chest, pot etc. either, other than the "you see what you might expect" responses I kept getting. Assuming that there was a bed in the attic bedroom was obvious, and a chest might be found somewhere in a cottage, but pot - that I would have never thought of.

Doreen B

#10 Post by Doreen B » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:49 pm

Hi...

The boots wear out very quickly if you keep wearing them, so remove them when not needed.

Re missing objects:
I myself had the same problem with this game not 'seeing' objects. I had alot of help from Dorothy Millard in Aussie.
In some of the locations objects are not mentioned, However these were shown in a book which you got when the game was type.

The bucket is needed when the boat is sinking.
You will find an object for water to water the seeds.
The axe is used 2 more times later in the game.
The door with the horseshoe is actually 'burnt'.
Make a note of special numbers when seen.
The boar you need a net for him.

See how you get on with these hints.

good luck
Doreen

terri

touch more needed

#11 Post by terri » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:31 pm

Dear Dorothy - she has saved many a player from self-destruction. Anytime I try to write, her mailbox is always full or unavailable. I hope she is well.

Yes, I took the boots off. After the run in with the patrol.

How to plug the leaky bucket?

How to get past the boar? Where is the net? Using the axe, just gets a "TWACK" response.

I haven't yet used the axe even once. Is the first time somewhere near the orchard, or windmill, or places already visited?

Anything to do at the campfire. SEARCH ASHES (not a bad deduction on my part, eh?) doesn't work.

So if I need to "burn" the horseshoe door, I presume I will need a source of fire, which I don't have.

I have not seen any numbers yet.

I think I need a nudge like the one you gave before. Finding the coin was a solid push.

Amby

#12 Post by Amby » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:28 am

Terri - no need to plug the holes in the bucket, just use it when your boat is sinking.

I've just been across the icy lake and back safely and now have: coins, boots, bucket, axe, reeds, jug (full of water), net, bread, and apples. Where are these seeds everyone keeps talking about? I tried eating the apple, thinking it would leave seeds behind, but no luck. I also haven't run into any boar yet. I'm guessing that these questions have something to do with the ghost of the goblin guardian that keeps getting me? I do believe I need a nudge :?

Doreen B

mystery silver mountain

#13 Post by Doreen B » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:40 pm

The seeds are in the sack in the mindmill.
give the pony an apple to take you to another loc.
There is nothing in the ashes.
move some rubble.
turn the handle on the sluice gates to empty the pool.
Blow reed frees the goblin guardian .

Here's a difficult bit.
In the maze Read Inscription (ramdom) N, into vaultes cavern, w (maze of tunnels) w, lost , remember inscription - type the direction given... to get out type directions BACKWARDS AND IN REVERSE eg, ESENNSWE WOULD BE WENSSWNW...

terri

planting

#14 Post by terri » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:20 am

I seem to be having difficulties planting the seeds. One plants them in the ploughed field, no? The message says they do not grow. So I try every verb I can think of, WATER, POUR, etc. Nothing works. I've even tried soaking the seeds first. Still no go. So, I think I may need a specific verb to use.

Doreen B

mystery silver mountain

#15 Post by Doreen B » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:52 pm

You 'plant seeds' and then 'water seeds' at the high walled garden. A vine quickly grows which you can now climb.

D