Gateway to the Skies

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Doreen B

Gateway to the Skies

#1 Post by Doreen B » Tue May 05, 2009 10:24 pm

This is a spectrum game available from WOS - apparently it was also published for the BBC.

If anyone knows how to get out of the spaghetti maze?! I would be grateful :?

terri

#2 Post by terri » Wed May 06, 2009 3:02 am

Another one of my unfinished games. After I typed part of it up, I made notes in pencil which I can't decipher.

I made a map, but I made no note of finding anything in the maze. There are a few dead ends. So I may need to play it again.

Do the genie's directions help at all?

Doreen B

Gateway to the skies

#3 Post by Doreen B » Wed May 06, 2009 4:59 pm

In the spaghetti maze there is the 2nd Hall of Enlightenment and the gold pendant (treasure) but I can't get out, I keep dying a couple of moves later through lack of air after leaving the hall!

The clue to the hall is found by looking at the clue in the trees - where you found the credit card (E.S.U)

I have tried reversing the route - but my patience is running out due to dying so soon.

I have not found or seen the genie.

This is written in basic ( or parts of)
I have 'looked' at the game listings - but can't make out what to do.

Doreen B

Gateway to the skies

#4 Post by Doreen B » Wed May 06, 2009 8:51 pm

The spagheti maze was simple - from the 2nd hall just go WEST!!

OK have now got further - I can't get rid of the Orc (top of the mountain) and the electronic eye won't let me pass...

Any help here Terri?

terri

#5 Post by terri » Thu May 07, 2009 2:11 am

I'll try - give me some time. I need to start all over again as it's been so long. Maybe tomorrow after work.
The genie helps with directions somewhere
I have no note of a treasure in the sphagetti maze. Nor of running out of air. I also cannot find the magic cavern, from which east is the maze.
I'll let you know where I get stuck.
I have note of other mazes as well, like the azyz maze with the dwarf, and how to defeat him. This maze is reached by going south from the west bank.

terri

#6 Post by terri » Fri May 08, 2009 3:25 am

I am almost back to where I was when I stopped.

At the orc, FIGHT (not kill, or throw). I presume you got up the slop by drinking the beer.

Try killling the dragon first, before you take the pendant. It's probably best to not take the treasures until you are ready to leave.

Don't give the bones to the dog too early, as I think there are a limited number of moves. I found that I had to drop something to get everything close by first, then the dog won't follow you.

I have reached the third level.

terri

#7 Post by terri » Fri May 08, 2009 11:33 pm

I am stuck at the same place I was before.

Hint- use the bottle (filled) before you rub it.

I am in Level 3 - no idea what to do at the hot coal location. I wondered whether the sock mught help but you don't get very far in carrying it (and there is no clothespin to put on your nose :lol: Can't do in the dwarf (maybe I didn't manage this before either).

Did you find anything in the Spaghetti maze? Lots of dead ends there. I'll remap it.

We may need some additional help here.

Doreen B

gateway to the skies

#8 Post by Doreen B » Sat May 09, 2009 9:12 pm

It's the electronic eye I can't pass S x 2 from the kennels.

from looking at the listings you need the bottle of acid to pour over a parchment - have you found that yet?

It might be random whether the dwarf dies or not.

I havn't seen him yet but can you fight him?

dave

Re: gateway to the skies

#9 Post by dave » Sun May 10, 2009 8:59 am

Interestingly, the BBC version is in two parts; so for solution wise, it may be better to play the Beeb version :-). I've managed to pull full listings for both versions and they're very similar (though differing for the dialect of BASIC).

The code has been deliberately obfuscated to prevent people cheating. It doesn't mean I can't understand - it'll just be more of a challenge :-)
Doreen B wrote:from looking at the listings you need the bottle of acid to pour over a parchment - have you found that yet?
There's a pool of acid and an empty bottle...
Doreen B wrote:It might be random whether the dwarf dies or not.
Yes it is - so save before you attack him, there's a 10% (20% on the BBC) chance he'll kill you (just for being in the room) and a 20% (100% on BBC) chance that you'll kill him if . So you may need to repeat until he is dead.

terri

#10 Post by terri » Sun May 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Yes, fill the bottle and then use it on the parchment. But the hint you get is very obscure.

Still don't know what to do with/at the coal.

Throw a sticky goo at the electronic eye.

I wondered whether killing the dwarf was random. OK - I'll be patient. I suppose it's the same thing with all the monsters? The gun worked on the Screamer.

terri

#11 Post by terri » Sun May 10, 2009 6:31 pm

Dave,

At the dwarf, I've saved and restored so many times, it is getting more than tedious. I can't seem to kill him.

I've tried with carrying the sword, as well as the gun and the knife.

You're pretty sure that no specific weapon is needed? Or that you didn't have to solve the coal puzzle (for instance) first? Or some other action?

The listings give other possibilities (as responses), but I don't get those messages. I have only one move there.

I suppose you can avoid him altogether, but there is no where to go in the third hall, other than north (following the genie's directions).

dave

#12 Post by dave » Sun May 10, 2009 9:15 pm

terri wrote:At the dwarf, I've saved and restored so many times, it is getting more than tedious. I can't seem to kill him.

I've tried with carrying the sword, as well as the gun and the knife.
This bit is done in machine code on the spectrum; but on the BBC version it's in BASIC! So it looks like you have to use the heavy pickaxe, which you should find in the secret storeroom, which is an hidden entrance west of the village square (it doesn't show it when you go there). You'll need some light.

The only bits I can see about the coal are dropping it due to being too hot. Same with the sock.

The spaghetti maze is evil - there's only 5 rooms, but make one wrong move and you're transported to a room that you cannot escape from! The solution is below in the background colour, so to read it, highlight it:
Maze Solution wrote:From "Standing on top of a large Anthill", go D. Then go E, S, U, E and you'll be in the "Second Hall of Enlightenment".
There are no objects in this maze.

Doreen B

gateway to the skies

#13 Post by Doreen B » Sun May 10, 2009 9:57 pm

As far as I can see there is no way you can get the pickaxe out of the mine - you fall and stab yourself on it.

And there is no way back to that area once you have dropped the ladder down the wall. At least I don't think so...

Any other suggestions.

terri

#14 Post by terri » Sun May 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Ditto to what Doreen says. I too have not been able to get the pickaxe out of the mines.

Mapping the Spaghetti Maze is a chore, but it can be done.

I presume, Doreen, that you have gotten past the Orc.

That puzzle leads me to think that maybe one needs extra strength at the dwarf. Unfortunately, I drank the juice some time ago (so as to have one less object to carry).

Does drinking the juice, Dave, give one more of "something"? Like the beer?

I haven't tried throwing the pickaxe (up)? Does that work?

dave

Re: gateway to the skies

#15 Post by dave » Mon May 11, 2009 9:43 am

Doreen B wrote:As far as I can see there is no way you can get the pickaxe out of the mine - you fall and stab yourself on it.
Have you tried rubbing the lamp to take yourself back to the farm?

Can you deal with the Dwarf before you go into the diamond mine?