lamberly mystery

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

terri

lamberly mystery

#1 Post by terri » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:27 am

Hi out there.

I am trying to play Lamberly Mystery, a Sherlock Holmes adventure for which I can find no solution. It is a 3-part adventure found under Zenobi 48 games on WOS, labelled Mystery 1, 2 and 3.

I have managed to "finish" part 1, save the game (you do this on the train), open part 2, and load the saved game. However, having done what I think I need to do in part 2, I am back on the train, try to save my position, but I cannot load it (in either Part 1 or Part 3). The game instructions say to load part 1 again (rather than part 3, though it may originally not have been written in 3 separate parts), but I can't seem to do either of these loadings.

I am using Spectaculator. But I have tried this with other emulators such as ZX Spectrum emulator and Klive, but can't do this. Part of the problem is that I can't find the ", i.e. quotation symbol, symbol which I need to use with the cab/cart driver. I have instructions on how to save games in the ZX emulator, but they don't work either.

That may not really be the only problem. Even waiting until I am on the train doesn't work. If I recall (though this may be incorrect) I got a different message when I saved from Part 1 to Part 2, than I got when I tried to save in Part 2.

So I have actually several questions:

When (in Part 2), the game says to reload Part 1 and load the saved game, do I load part 1 or Part 3?

Second, how do I actually do that? Either using Spectaculator, or another emulator?

I realize this is a "technical" question rather than a game-playing question, but I would like to finish this game. While it is "crackable", the actually loading/saving glitches are getting in the way.

Some of you folks are savvy in all kinds of things and help would be appreciated. It probably doesn't matter how well/far you have proceeded, so even if you play Part 1 minimally, get to where it tells you to save the game (on the train), leave, find at least one object, and try to get back on the train, you should be able to get back to wherever it is you are supposed to be.

Thanks in advance. Please tell me if technical questions are out of line. If you wish to know my moves, I'd be pleased to share them.

dave

#2 Post by dave » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:56 am

I can have a look if you want.

On the Spectrum keyboard the " are done with Symbol Shift+P. Symbol Shift is normally mapped to SHIFT or CONTROL, but this is emulator dependant.

Mr Creosote

#3 Post by Mr Creosote » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:12 pm

In Spectemu / xspect, " is ALT+2.

terri

#4 Post by terri » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:53 pm

Thank you gentlemen.

I've tried every possible combination of SHIFT, CONTROL and ALT, using P and 2 and +2, but this doesn't work (under XZ emulator)

Spectaculator (which doesn't have the quotation problem) actually manages to save the game (at least I think it does), what I can't do is load it.

Dave, if I send you the last saved game just before the save/load message, can you try it out? Also, let me know if you want the games too.

Doreen B

lamberley mystery

#5 Post by Doreen B » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi Terri & all,

yes its me just checking on whats happening...

I have a full solution to this game - now do you want hints (as and when you want & can get the game to load part 2 etc, OR WHAT?

The M key (menus) is very important - expecially when saving/loading game.

As I have never played this game - I can only read the solution & can't give any ideas.

Doreen

terri

#6 Post by terri » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:11 am

At this point I only want to load the game, and find out whether I load it into Part 1 or Part 3.

No solution needed as yet.

What's this M menu you are talking about?

Using Spectaculator, I was able to save Part 1, load Part 2, and insert Part 1 into it. I (think) I can save Part 2, but can't load it into Part 1 or Part 3.

Doreen B

lamberley mystery

#7 Post by Doreen B » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:09 pm

The 'M' key (on keyboard) this is where various options can be accessed for saving/loading the game.

Use the cursor keys to choose your options.

You need to load in part 2 & then your saved data from part 1. (Thats the lamberley train leaving from platform2) - you should arrive at lamberley station 2 hours later.

Now at the end of part 2 - you climb into a train bound for london, You should be asked where you intend staying in London (determines which part the data will be for) you should input EDGWARE ROAD or CRAVEN STREET/MEXBOROUGH HOTEL) this should save data for part 3.

Hope this helps.

terri

#8 Post by terri » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:16 am

Funny I have platform 4 in Part 1, not platform 2.

OK I'll try this.

Thanks

terri

#9 Post by terri » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:39 am

Hello folks out there.

I have made a millimetre of progress.

You will recall I was done, Part 1, did part 2, did part 3. Now I need to reload Part 1.

All of this is in Spectaculator.

Then, I press M, and it gives me the correct toolbar at the top. Using the right cursor key, I can highlight "access". Then I use the down cursor and can highlight "Load program".

Then what do I do? Enter doesn't work; neither do the cursor keys.

Thanks ahead of time.

Alastair

#10 Post by Alastair » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:32 pm

terri wrote:Then, I press M, and it gives me the correct toolbar at the top. Using the right cursor key, I can highlight "access". Then I use the down cursor and can highlight "Load program".

Then what do I do? Enter doesn't work; neither do the cursor keys.
Space bar? If that doesn't work then there's always the good old tried and tested technique of pressing every key until something happens.

terri

#11 Post by terri » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Alastair. But nothing works. Even pressing on the Shift key(s), the Alt and Cntrl keys.

Maybe it's time to give up on this.