Mobile Suit Gundam 1 - Gundam Daichi ni Tatsu

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Plissken

#1 Post by Plissken » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:47 am

I don't know if here there are some fans of japanese animation, however i have recently discovered the existence of two adventure games based on the famous Gundam franchise (the first serie, precisely) for the NEC PC-88 (a japanese only computer).
Very oddily, they are in english (in fact they are the only two games completely in english that i know for that system).

Both games were developed by Rapport. The titles of the two games are:

機動戦士ガンダム1 ガンダム大地に立つ

機動戦士ガンダム2 翔べ! ガンダム
Mobile Suit Gundam 2 - Tobe! Gundam

Has anyone heard about them or tried them? I've got a disk image of the first and a tape image for the second. If someone is willing to try them, i can upload them somewhere.

Moitcho

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam 1 - Gundam Daichi ni Tatsu

#2 Post by Moitcho » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:38 pm

those are sure adventure games in English expression and parser oddly for japanese 8bit computers (in 1984, for PC-8801 or FM7, Tape version only).

if you have watched original TV series of first Gundam, solving puzzle or deciding next move isn't that hard.
but beware, there are shooter scene to complete which isn't fun nor feeling right.

btw, graphics are well drawn in bland 8 col palettes of the hardware (PC88, X1 and FM-7 had almost same color scheme) for 3rd party company's work.
it looks really like the touch of original images by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, the chief animator of real show.

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Old thread - but nice to see it resurrected.

Moitcho - you seem to be familiar with Japanese games?
We have quite a few (https://solutionarchive.com/list/language%2C10/) and I've added some of them myself, but a lot of the Japanese-only games have only brief or no description at all as none of us know much about them.
Can you help us out with some of them?

Moitcho

#4 Post by Moitcho » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:02 am

sure.
i think i know japanese adventures for various "paso-com" more than average japanese retro gamer around.

but mind you, im not dedicated adventure gamer or rather, rpg lover actually. so there should be missing out.
especially early tape only version games around 1980 to 1983 were rare even in my old days. (both of newer model and users shifted to floppy driven machine and forgot about tapes)
some of them are simply beyond my reach.

Gunness
Site Admin

#5 Post by Gunness » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:24 pm

We're just happy with whatever help we can get. As none of us regulars can read the text on the screenshots, we can't even make out what the games are about (roughly) or what kind of setting they use.

Moitcho

#6 Post by Moitcho » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm

the game is just following original TV show.

its sci-fi theme and about "one year war" between earth and it's space colonies. no aliens affairs.

the war involves big robots ("Mobile Suit") as main battle unit due to highly established jamming technology (based on fictitious "Minovsky Particle effect theory". no decisive counter measures for both sides yet.), and some combatants/pilots called "new types" who have ESP and are generally recognized as evolved/mutant. - say, kinda weakest version of Lensman (by E.E.Smith)

but entire story has been heavily inspired by the work of Robert.A.Heinlein. especially the structure by "Starship Troopers" then style, by "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress".