Extracting a GAC'ed C64 adventure

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Gunness
Site Admin

Extracting a GAC'ed C64 adventure

#1 Post by Gunness » Tue May 15, 2012 10:42 am

I was trying to help a chap with a C64 adventure written for the C64 (it's in Danish, so nobody here is likely to have played it).
When you play partway into it, you are prompted for a code which was part of the original documentation. I bought the game back in the day but ditched everything but the manual, and the code's not there. Perhaps it was printed on the floppy label.

No matter. I asked the author, and he couldn't remember the code either.

Is there any way in which I can extract a vocabulary listing from the game (which should include the code)? I've looked at UnGAC and Grackle, but neither of these support the C64 format.

dave

Re: Extracting a GAC'ed C64 adventure

#2 Post by dave » Tue May 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Any chance of a copy of the snapshot? In theory it should be quick to add the C64 format, but it depends on how much of the file format they kept the same.

dave

#3 Post by dave » Tue May 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Right I think I've got a version that will read C64 GAC files (saved as a vice snapshot: .vsf), or at least on the couple I've tested it on. Some of the verbs may be a bit screwy as the C64 seems to have a couple of extra headers that none of the other version have.

Gunness
Site Admin

#4 Post by Gunness » Tue May 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Ok, I've mailed you a snapshop. Best of luck :thumb: