Madame Fifi's

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

jgerrie

Madame Fifi's

#1 Post by jgerrie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Ported and played Madame Fifi's Whore House. I found that the PC version (scavanged from the net somewhere) that I ported it from played a little differently than the walkthrough by Alex Dijktra here on the archive:

Madam Fifi's worehouse
Walkthrough bij Alex Dijkstra for the PC with edits for TRS-80 MC-10 version by Jim Gerrie

E, PUSH TOILET, D, GET WHIP, N, N, GET OIL, GET SUITCASE, GET BUCKET, UP, E, E, E, GET SWITCHBLADE, E, TIE WHIP, RAILING, GET HAMMER, CLIMB WHIP, GET OAR, S, GET BEER, BUCKET, U, W, W, W, THROW BEER, DROP BUCKET, HIT FIREPLACE, HAMMER, GET WINE, GET CHEESE, GO FIREPLACE, DROP WINE, GET TORCH, N, W, LOOK RAT, DROP CHEESE, GET KEY, E, N, GO RAFT, ROW, DROP SUITCASE, CLIMB LOFT, GET NAILS, D, HIT SUITCASE, SWITCHBLADE, DROP SWITCHBLADE, DROP NAILS, DROP HAMMER, GET MONEY , GET CURTAIN, N, OIL GATE, N, OPEN DOOR, PAY FIFI, MONEY.

Thanks for the walkthrough Alex, if you're out there.

Gunness
Site Admin

Re: Madame Fifi's

#2 Post by Gunness » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:41 am

Alex should indeed be out there - but he travels a lot and doesn't visit here all the time, so thanks on his behalf :)
And I'll add your walkthrough to the archive.

Alex

#3 Post by Alex » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:10 am

I'm here all right :D. I'm just back from 5 weeks of hiking through Bolivia. Which means I'll be around for some time before I'm able to go on a trip again (unless I win a lottery or something :) )

It's a long time ago I played this game. 21 years to be exactly, but I gave it another look this morning.
It took me some time before I found where I put my copy of the game. It seems I left some things out when I copied this walkthrough from my old notes :oops: . Thanks for pointing it out.

Even worse it appears I've never finished it properly because I did not get the money. The reason for this is the messages when you die disappear very fast and on my old computer didn't even see them. Because I played the game this time with Dosbox I at last was able to see these messages for the first time (but only when I decrease the CPU cycles to 50 or less). For that reason I thought the game finishes when you give the wine to Fifi, but it should be the money as you pointed out.

I noticed you've made one small mistake in your walkthrough. It should be Get WHIP, N, GET OIL, N instead of GET WHIP, N, N, GET OIL.

I rewrote my walkthrough (adding some more information) and will mention your name as well for helping me solve it properly after all these years. I also made a map.

jgerrie

#4 Post by jgerrie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm happy to contribute whatever I can to the efforts of the archive. If you're still doing old 8-bit Basic adventures--I would really like someone whose skilled to take a crack at ICEWAR and DRWHO from the list in my other post about programs I've ported. I haven't been able to crack either...

Thanks again for the original walkthrough. It was a real help in the porting process.

Alex

#5 Post by Alex » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:04 am

jgerrie wrote:I would really like someone whose skilled to take a crack at ICEWAR and DRWHO from the list in my other post
Ok I've started playing Ice world wars. I already finished the map. I hope to give you a solution soon, but I'm very busy this weekend so it may take a few days.

jgerrie

#6 Post by jgerrie » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:53 am

Alex wrote:Ok I've started playing Ice world wars. I already finished the map. I hope to give you a solution soon, but I'm very busy this weekend so it may take a few days.
If it's any help. Here's the map I've made so far...
IceWorldWar.png
IceWorldWar.png (19.03 KiB) Viewed 3106 times

Alex

#7 Post by Alex » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:20 am

I've solved the game and I've uploaded the map. I'll write a walkthrough one of these days.

jgerrie

#8 Post by jgerrie » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:58 am

Alex wrote:I've solved the game and I've uploaded the map. I'll write a walkthrough one of these days.
Thanks for the map! Using it I was able to complete the game, although it was kind of tricky at the end there. You had to drop the sealed letter on the floor of shuttle for it to recognize that you had brought it with you. And you had to just guess that you had to "push button" to get the things to launch. :thumb:

Alex

#9 Post by Alex » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:00 pm

I've uploaded the walkthrough.
jgerrie wrote: you had to just guess that you had to "push button" to get the things to launch.
If you type READ PANEL you notice the button.

There is also a little bug inside the game which I've explained in the walkthrough.

jgerrie

#10 Post by jgerrie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:44 am

Alex wrote:I've uploaded the walkthrough.
Thanks very much for the walkthrough and bug report (fortunately it was already fixed in my MC-10 version). :wink:
Now if I could just entice you to apply yours skills on the crazy (directions are meaningless) Dr. Who ... :)
Attachments
Dr Who v3.1 (19xx)(James L Smith)[BAS].zip
(8.32 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Alex

#11 Post by Alex » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:52 pm

jgerrie wrote:Now if I could just entice you to apply yours skills on the crazy (directions are meaningless) Dr. Who
There are a lot of random elements in this game. Something I don't like. But I wanted to try it anyway however I did not manage to start the game. I use the TRSF-80 emulator. I put the two basic files on a disk image and made a drwho.dat file on it running drwho1.bas. When I run the drwho2.bas I only get the text "DOCTOR WHO" on the screen and nothing else happens. I'm not very familiar with the TRS80. Can you tell me how I can play this game?

jgerrie

#12 Post by jgerrie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:46 pm

Alex wrote:I'm not very familiar with the TRS80. Can you tell me how I can play this game?
I'm not that familiar with the TRS-80 Model 1/3 either, although I have a working emulator (not sure which one). I have attached a couple of dsk files in a ZIP that I use to play the game. ND80.dsk I put in drive 0. I put the DrWho.dsk in drive 1. The ND80 is just a Newdos boot disk. After it boots I type BASIC, to get a moded version basic up and running. When in Basic I then type:
LOAD"DRWHO/BAS:1"
RUN
(notice it is "DRWHO/BAS" and *not* DRWHO1.BAS OR DRWHO2/BAS). This runs a version of the program I have modified to look for the data file on Drive 1 of a disk system. I have already used the program needed to create that data file and also moded it for dsk use (from some documentation rustled from the Net). Be prepared to wait a few seconds (about 10-15) for the DR WHO message in the centre of the screen to disappear.

I think the problem is that file I originally posted contained the original Cassette based Basic source code, but you have to modify that code to get it to run on a disk system/emulator.

This program is very odd in its non-logical (reverse paths don't always take you back the way you came). I originally thought this was a programming error on my part (I was porting the code to TRS-80 MC-10) but now recognize it as part of the Dr. who abieance the author was trying to recreate. Paths double back in all kinds of strange ways. I wouldn't call it "random" so much as "counter intuitive."

There are some unique commands I've discovered:
ENTER (takes you into the Tardis)
RESET (moves the Tardis to a new planet)

SEARCH can accomplish quite a lot in certain rooms. I have mapped some of it. I'll try to put it up here soon in some way, but the odd non-intuitive format will make this difficult. Thanks for your interest. Best of luck. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
Attachments
Dr Who v3.zip
(171.01 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Alex

#13 Post by Alex » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:22 pm

Ok I managed to get the game running.

jgerrie wrote:This program is very odd in its non-logical (reverse paths don't always take you back the way you came). I originally thought this was a programming error on my part (I was porting the code to TRS-80 MC-10) but now recognize it as part of the Dr. who abieance the author was trying to recreate. Paths double back in all kinds of strange ways. I wouldn't call it "random" so much as "counter intuitive."
The map is not random, but about 14 other actions are. For instance flying with the tardis. This can be especially frustrating because you can use the tardis only a limited amount of times (actually the number of times you can use it is also random).

I'll start to make a map.

jgerrie

#14 Post by jgerrie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Alex wrote:Ok I managed to get the game running.
The map is not random, but about 14 other actions are. For instance flying with the tardis. This can be especially frustrating because you can use the tardis only a limited amount of times (actually the number of times you can use it is also random).
I'll start to make a map.
Yes, lots of random elements... The different groups of aliens that come to pester you and whether they get lethally irritated are probably on your list of 14. Since I have ported the code to the MC-10, I would be interested in any suggestions about "tweaking" any of these elements. In fact, its one of my nebulous desires to someday even iron out some of the quirkier aspects of movement in the game. I have found so few Basic adventures (at least that have easily accessible source code) based on Dr. Who (most Dr. Who adventures seem to be professional machine language affairs), which is part of my ongoing fascination with this game (One of these days, though, I should just get of my duff and try to write my own) I wish I had your patience and persistence... I've been fiddling with this game for almost 5 year now I think...

Alex

#15 Post by Alex » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:53 pm

A little summary of thing I know so far:

I finished a table with all the connections between the locations. Tomorrow I'll look if I can make a map of this, but because the game is like one big maze (normally you can't return the direction you came from) I don't know if I will manage this. I also made a list of the verbs and objects and their locations.

The game contains 7 planets which all have 10 locations. To travel between the planets you use the tardis. However as I mentioned before traveling is random. From each planet you should obtain one object and when you have all six objects you should return the throne room in Galafry. The objects which you have to collect according to the basic code are:

Planet -Object
Peladon -sionated cumquat
Mutos -giant blue spider
Skaro -Dalek ray-gun
Moon -large rock
Hidaous -bunch of bananas
Diethylamide -white crystal

I did solve some of the puzzles, but still have to solve some others.