Gothmog's lair

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

Gothmog's lair

#1 Post by Alex » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:30 am

I'm playing Gothmog's lair on the c64. A few messages are written in dragon language.

On a scroll about mummies it reads:
-LEIURGEK IT VOITOROAT!

On a scrap of paper it reads:
-ATE MEN GO OVER GUE TEIKEG LOOK IR GUE
LKYZORT LER

I've found a codebook with the following information:
DRAGON=LKYZOR, USE=ATE, T=G

Anyone who can decode the messages?

Alex

Re: Gothmog's lair

#2 Post by Alex » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:23 pm

It took me some while, but I managed to decipher it :D .

On the scroll is written:
-DECANTER IS POISONOUS

On the paper is written:
-USE KEY TO OPEN THE SECRET DOOR IN THE DRAGONS DEN

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:02 pm

So, how is the game (deciphring aside)?

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:25 pm

For a game from 1983 it is quite advanced or better it has the intention to be advanced, but it doesn't quite work out. You have to collect 11 stolen treasures to proof your are not the thief. The treasures are guarded by monsters. Meanwhile two other characters are also trying to collect these same treasures. A lot of the action is random which makes the game very hard to solve. This includes the defeating of the monsters. Overall the game is very buggy. You can collect the treasures inside the trunk of your car (a very strange place inside a fantasy game). However when I finally collected all the treasures the car was gone. To climb out of a pit you have to go up and to enter it you have to go down. You should only be able to leave the pit with the rope, but without it you can leave as well. If you wear glasses in the swamp you get the notice thanks to the glasses you find a flask, but without the glasses you also see the flask. These are only a few examples, but there are a lot more which I will describe in the solution I'll write. Furthermore a lot of puzzles are not needed to solve the game. It good have been a good adventure if it was written more carefully.