Road to Valhala text adventure running on NewBrain

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Colin Appleby

Road to Valhala text adventure running on NewBrain

#1 Post by Colin Appleby » Fri May 27, 2016 7:26 am

I finally converted the Sinclair Spectrum version of the "Road to Valhala" to NewBrain Basic which now runs on the NewBrain Emulator in Tape Mode great. A very interesting text adventure.

jgerrie

Re: Road to Valhala text adventure running on NewBrain

#2 Post by jgerrie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:19 pm

Colin,

I used the text file you included in your rar download for Valhalla to create a version for MC-10. Thanks. Noticed a weird thing in line 150:

150 IF SE=4 AND YR=1 THEN 5000

changed it to:

150 IF SE=4 AND YR=L THEN 5000

So that the simulation will run longer than 1 year. Did you convert from a scan using character recognition? I have done that a lot and always have problems with "1"s and "L"s. Maybe you already caught it in the binary version for the Newbrain?

Here's a vid of my version:
https://youtu.be/_waPCrYkfu0?list=UUUtX ... Byo5MeFlYg

On another topic, did you ever make use of my Basic version of "Planet of Death?"

Thanks again for the code for porting.
Jim G.

Colin Appleby

#3 Post by Colin Appleby » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:07 am

Hello Jim

Thank you for the correction. Yes I have had similar problems with 1 and L. I created a text file of the program then input the text file directly into the NewBrain Emulator. However the 1 and L sometimes get confused. Have now made the correction. Thanks for spotting the error.

I have been busy playing with my new Raspberry Pi and have now got RetroPie Emulation running with many game Roms. Pi has Zork 1, 2 and 3 text adventure games built in. Would highly recommend getting a Raspberry Pi, it's an amazing piece of kit.

On the Basic version of "Planet of Death?" it is still a work in progress for me. I will post it once I get it converted.

Regards

Colin

jgerrie

#4 Post by jgerrie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:25 pm

My son is the pie guy. Never tried it with emulation. The Virtual MC-10 (VMC10) is my workhorse. If you have any trouble with POD, just let me know. Thanks again for the code.

Jim G.

Colin Appleby

#5 Post by Colin Appleby » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:12 pm

Hello Jim

Will check out the Virtual MC-10 (VMC10) Emulator. What make was the MC-10 computer.

I have many old Retro Computers in my collection. Recently got myself a Texas TI-99/4A with Extended Basic Cartridge (US version) but with a UK Power Supply. It is fully working and a great computer. I also picked up a Sinclair Spectrum +2 with cassette deck and an Atari ST Mega with 2 MB. Great these old computers. I like to make up a SCART video lead for each of them for improved Graphics display.

Regards

Colin

jgerrie

#6 Post by jgerrie » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:40 am

Fullname: TRS-80 Micro Color Computer 10 (MC-10 for short). Stripped down TRS-80 Color Computer. Kinda like a ZX-81 in form and function. Cheap. The French made a version called the Matra-Hachette Alice (but I guess you're not talking to the french any more;).

Colin Appleby

#7 Post by Colin Appleby » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:06 am

Hello Jim

My email as a second way of contacting me is colinappleby@hotmail.com

Regards

Colin