The Curse of Crowley Manor in BASIC

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

jgerrie

The Curse of Crowley Manor in BASIC

#1 Post by jgerrie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:36 am

I'm translating the "Curse of Crowley Manor" to Micro Color Basic. If there are any particular fixes one would want to see integrated, let me know.

Garry

Re: The Curse of Crowley Manor in BASIC

#2 Post by Garry » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Is that the one by Jyym Pearson? I originally played that on the Atari 8-bit. A little while back, I ported it to Inform and vastly expanded it. I compiled it for Glulx, complete with graphics from the Apple II version, but with most images modified a bit. I haven't released it, as it's not quite finished. It was really just a fun project to improve my Inform programming and work out how to do all the blorb stuff. Nevertheless, it feels really nice compared to the original (which was a guess-the-verb nightmare), as I did a lot of research to make it feel historically accurate and added a LOT of extra commands, extra descriptive text, extra objects, richer non-player characters, a few extra puzzles and more sensible solutions to the existing puzzles.

jgerrie

#3 Post by jgerrie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 am

Thanks for the the thoughts Garry. Yes a bit weird in its verbs. I have distinguished "look" and "examine." My son has play tested and found it quite "atmospheric."

ahope1

#4 Post by ahope1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:45 pm

Garry wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:26 pm
Is that the one by Jyym Pearson? I originally played that on the Atari 8-bit. A little while back, I ported it to Inform and vastly expanded it. I compiled it for Glulx, complete with graphics from the Apple II version, but with most images modified a bit. I haven't released it, as it's not quite finished. It was really just a fun project to improve my Inform programming and work out how to do all the blorb stuff. Nevertheless, it feels really nice compared to the original (which was a guess-the-verb nightmare), as I did a lot of research to make it feel historically accurate and added a LOT of extra commands, extra descriptive text, extra objects, richer non-player characters, a few extra puzzles and more sensible solutions to the existing puzzles.
You’ve put a lot of work into that game. Hope you eventually finish and release it.

:)

Garry

#5 Post by Garry » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:15 am

I did this in mid-2017, so I don't remember how much is left to do. You can play it through to the end, but I think there's still some work to be done in the mid-game. It certainly needs a thorough play testing. I'd also like to redo the graphics, but I'm no artist. This might make a good project for the new year, but don't hold your breath waiting.