Now I'm worried...

General chit-chat, ramblings, odds and ends.

Moderator: Alastair

dave

Now I'm worried...

#1 Post by dave » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:38 pm

Facebook has just suggested that I add Jacob as a friend. How the (insert swearword here) did it get that?

I have no privacy any more :-(

Eriorg

#2 Post by Eriorg » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:56 pm

Does one of your Facebook friends already have Jacob in his/her own list of friends? That would explain it. At least, the suggestions I had seemed to be simply friends of friends. And most of the time, they were people I didn't know or even had never heard of...

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:19 pm

Dave, I'd assume that your privacy is down the drain in the first place, when it comes to FB. 1984, here we come :P

But, as Eriorg indicates, all suggestions are based on friends of friends. Presumably we have one or more friends in common (Doreen, perhaps?).

Of course, the other option is that FB has mined the CASA forum extensively and is lining up a mouthwatering deal for me to sell my user data. I am still waiting for my phone to ring.

dave

#4 Post by dave » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:57 pm

That's the scary bit - in FB I have nothing to related to classic text adventures, nor any shared friends that are either (one friend I do have is big in the Spectrum emulation scene, but that's it).

The only thing that could link me is my name (though I have a common name) and the fact that I'm using the same email address for FB and CASA (but it's set to private on both).

I think I may have to ask FB why the link's been made.

Have you received that phone call yet?

dave

#5 Post by dave » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Ah: a quick web search came across this article:
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2009-06-12-n15.html

Jacob, by any chance have you let FB look at your email contacts (I know I haven't)? I doubt it'd be Doreen or Terri as they've always used a different email address to talk to me!

I'm going to start walking around the place with a tin hat!

Gunness
Site Admin

#6 Post by Gunness » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Dave,
Interesting article - and yes, at a couple of points I allowed FB to trawl through my email list. Silly me, it would seem.

Still, that phone call just arrived and made the the richest geek on the planet. Muhahahaha!

Dave, if that friend request from you should ever pop up on my FB, I'll expect NSI or CIA to come busting down my down, guns blazing an' all.

Hmmmm.... this could turn into an interesting adventure game!

dave

#7 Post by dave » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:51 pm

Hmmm I can see it now

You are in profile page of a social networking tool. There are 1,254,123 people here.

You can also see a mailbox
> OPEN MAILBOX
A prompt comes up: please waiting, downloading.

You are in profile page of a social networking tool. There are 1,254,456 people here.