New game from Ron Gilbert

General chit-chat, ramblings, odds and ends.

Moderator: Alastair

Gunness
Site Admin

Re: New game from Ron Gilbert

#16 Post by Gunness » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:11 pm

There's a measure of idealism and good faith in it - somebody has a great idea but lacks money.
The original premise is that unless people back it, the project never happens because the project owner doesn't have the necessary funds to finance it.
That's been my reasoning behind backing most of the projects I've been part of. Over the last couple of years the area has seen a degree of professionalization, which is both good and bad. Good, because the projects actually happen and are better made, but bad, because a lot of these are run by companies which could easily cough up the money to produce whatever they're producing without crowdfunding.

Anyway, if you merely see it as a preorder, there's usually some incentive (better product/components, lower price than in stores, getting it before everybody else). I don't care much about the latter, but I do like getting a good price or getting better components (when backing board games, for instance).

df

#17 Post by df » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:52 pm

I dislike that large companies use it in effort to gauge interest instead of take a risk and believe in their own product.
-- Stu / DF --
-- Mountain Valley + Softgold Adventure Fan --

Mr Creosote

#18 Post by Mr Creosote » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Gunness wrote:somebody has a great idea but lacks money.
The original premise is that unless people back it, the project never happens because the project owner doesn't have the necessary funds to finance it.
That means I would be investing (putting risk capital into a project), but the model's payoffs aren't appropriate to this interpretation.
Gunness wrote:bad, because a lot of these are run by companies which could easily cough up the money to produce whatever they're producing without crowdfunding
:(