Anyone for a Zinc session?

Suggest a new game to be solved in cooperation with other CASA users.

Would you be interested in playing an IF game with Zinc?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:52 pm

You bet!
100%
Nah, sounds boring.
No votes
Dunno.
No votes

Total votes: 4

FredrikR

Anyone for a Zinc session?

#1 Post by FredrikR » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:50 pm

This isn't strictly about wanting to play a certain game, but it's definitely about wanting to play an adventure game cooperatively, so this seems to be the right forum.

Heard about Zinc? This freeware multiplayer IF interpreter is simply put a revolution for cooperative playing of text adventures. Check this out:

http://zinc-if.sourceforge.net/

All who want to participate download the latest version of Zinc. The one who intends to act as server downloads the gamefile too. The server adds the game to Zinc's game list and starts it in server mode. All others start Zinc and connect to the server. You can chat while playing, as well as draw a map cooperatively, and anyone can type in commands (if the server is set to allow it).

Please note that the games that Zinc can play only support single-player, so while you all share playing the game, you won't have a character each in the game to play around with - you cooperatively work out what a single character should do.

Anyway, short of having a bunch of IF interested friends over at your house, I can't think of a better way to enjoy an IF game.

Zinc is written in Java and runs on all modern platforms. It can run games in Zcode and TADS format, as well as some Magnetic Scrolls games. I've tried playing Zcode and TADS games and it works very well. I have no connection to the product except for being a fan. It's freeware anyway, but I realise my enthusiasm could be mistaken for some kind of sales promotion.

If anyone with a public IP address would care to host a Zinc session some evening (European time), I'd like to join. Just mail me or MSN me at fredrik-xyzzy-ramsberg.net (replace -xyzzy- with @).

Regards,

/Fredrik
http://IFGuide.ramsberg.net - A Beginner's Guide to Playing Interactive Fiction

Amby

#2 Post by Amby » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:20 am

Interesting....I'm going to have a look at Zinc now.

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:13 am

Hi Fredrik,
I've never heard of Zinc before but it sounds like a terrific idea! This should be a must-try for the users of the site.
I'll be happy to host a session but I don't have a fast upstream connection and can't see on the Zinc site what the requirements are like. I'll take a closer look and will return shortly.

FredrikR

#4 Post by FredrikR » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:22 am

The requirements are quite low, so that shouldn't be a problem. Let me know when you plan to host a session and I'll join in!

CJ_Egern

I'm In

#5 Post by CJ_Egern » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:09 pm

Hello,

I sounds just like the kind of fun, I'm interested in.

Let me know, when someone hosts a game or wants me to host one :wink:
....Egern Pictures A/S..........
....We believe in dreams and make them come true....

Gunness
Site Admin

#6 Post by Gunness » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:03 pm

I'll be happy to host a session some time next week (evening, European time). Suggestions for a specific date and a game would be nice!

FredrikR

#7 Post by FredrikR » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:20 pm

I suggest Wednesday 23 Feb at 20.00 CET (GMT + 1).

I suggest YAGWAD or The Dreamhold.

YAGWAD is short for Yes, Another Game With A Dragon! and seems to be a well-written, funny fantasy/parody game. More info and downloads: http://www.wurb.com/if/game/917 (be sure to get the latest release!)

The Dreamhold was written with newbies in mind - it tries to help the player as soon as he/she seems to need it. However, that help can also be turned off. It seems to have quite a few puzzles and good writing. Here's the premise: You wake up in a cell with amnesia, and have to explore a wizard's house for clues to regain your memory, to find out who you are, why you are there, and how to get out. More info and downloads: http://www.ministryofpeace.com/if-review/

The Dreamhold is a nominee for several XYZZY Awards, among them Best Game, Best Writing and Best Story.

Amby

#8 Post by Amby » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:12 am

> I suggest Wednesday 23 Feb at 20.00 CET (GMT + 1).

Hmm, I think that makes it 3:00pm my local time :(...I haven't had a chance to look over the Zinc info, but if it's possible, can someone keep a transcript of the gameplay and share it with folks like me who can't make it at that time?

Gunness
Site Admin

#9 Post by Gunness » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:43 am

FredrikR wrote:I suggest Wednesday 23 Feb at 20.00 CET (GMT + 1).

The Dreamhold was written with newbies in mind - it tries to help the player as soon as he/she seems to need it.

The Dreamhold is a nominee for several XYZZY Awards, among them Best Game, Best Writing and Best Story.
Sounds like a excellent starting point! And 20.00 CET is fine with me.
Last edited by Gunness on Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

terri

#10 Post by terri » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:01 pm

Just to let you know - there is a solution in YAGWAD. Type HELP.

Gunness
Site Admin

#11 Post by Gunness » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:21 am

terri wrote:Just to let you know - there is a solution in YAGWAD. Type HELP.
That's why we should be playing the other game :)
Seriously, even if we decide to play YAGWAD, I trust that everybody has enough backbone to ignore any such solution and just play to the best of his/her ability :wink:

CJ_Egern

Hmm....

#12 Post by CJ_Egern » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:38 pm

Hmm..... Wednesday is a bad day. I'm going to the theater to see Fame.. :roll:

And let me suggest that we play Inevitable instead...

:wink:
....Egern Pictures A/S..........
....We believe in dreams and make them come true....