Cell of the Ridges zx spectrum

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Alex

Cell of the Ridges zx spectrum

#1 Post by Alex » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:34 pm

This week I started to play another adventure by Graham Burtenshaw, the author of Leotrope, called Cell of the ridges. I did not get very far.

Until now I found the following objects inside my cell:
-length of rope
-glass box
-bit of string
-small stone
-piece of fungus
-thing like a hammer
-small knife

But I have no idea how to get rid of the observer which prevents you escaping from your cell.

I found some hints from the author on Enceladus magazine issue 3.

Being completely stuck I checked the code and made a map, however it did not help me very much. I did solve some puzzles outside the cell (like raising the machines and finding a light source). The maze seems impossible to solve, It looks like one connection is missing.

Has anyone ever played this game or would like to give it a try? All hints are welcome.

Strident

Re: Cell of the Ridges zx spectrum

#2 Post by Strident » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:34 am

The author's solution is included in the Leotrope part 2 solution in that zip file.

It's been about thirty years since I played Graham's games, so I can't remember a thing about it.

Alex

#3 Post by Alex » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:57 am

Strident wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:34 am
The author's solution is included in the Leotrope part 2 solution in that zip file.
Thank you, yes I noticed it, but first I like to try the second part of Leotrope without the solution.

The author writes that cell of ridges was a lot better than Leotrope. That made me curious and that's why I started playing it but I didn't even manage to get out of the cell :D .
From his hints I understood you have to interact with the NPCs. I did manage this with some puzzles. But apart from not being able to leave the cell I also can't find some objects. I did explore some other parts of the game by changing some values with a hexeditor to leave the cell but I would prefer to learn the proper way.

Strident

#4 Post by Strident » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:52 pm

I've isolated the Cell solution...
http://8bitag.com/temp/cell-solution.txt

Getting out the cell doesn't really seem to be an issue. You just go north twice.

Alex

#5 Post by Alex » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:57 pm

Strident wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:52 pm
Getting out the cell doesn't really seem to be an issue. You just go north twice.
Yes but is the next command I needed RUN WEST because without doing this you are killed. Thanks :thumb:

Strident

#6 Post by Strident » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:05 pm

Alex wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:57 am
The author writes that cell of ridges was a lot better than Leotrope. That made me curious and that's why I started playing it but I didn't even manage to get out of the cell
Graham's Doomsday was the one that was totally different. Very dark in tone. He even produced a second version of the game which had some of the darker, more graphic descriptions removed.

Edit: Should you ever get onto Doomsday, here's the DTHS/Quest version of the game which has both the original (and "censored") versions on. It also has Cell of the Ridges as a bonus game. http://8bitag.com/temp/doomsday.zip

Alex

#7 Post by Alex » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:39 pm

The solution to some of these puzzles are made too complex for me. Not my kind of game, but at least I managed to finish my map .

Strident

#8 Post by Strident » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:47 pm

Alex wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:39 pm
The solution to some of these puzzles are made too complex for me. Not my kind of game, but at least I managed to finish my map .
You seem to have to spend a lot of time commanding NPCs to do things. I'm not a big fan of that sort of thing.

Alex

#9 Post by Alex » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:44 pm

Agreed. To a certain amount it can be ok like for instance the puzzle on getting the knife. but this is a bit too much furthermore some puzzles are very far fetched and not made clear during gameplay for instance the command "carefully cut gargoth" would never come to my mind or how to leave the castle at the end. On the other hand how you learn to find the box was nicely done.