Ship Wrecked

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
auraes
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:13 am
Location: France
Contact:

Ship Wrecked

#1 Post by auraes »

Ship Wrecked by Gavin Ellicott & Scott Julian 1986.
A very short The Quill game with many bugs fun to fix. The author probably didn't finish his project because there are unused items and messages. The game in its current form is achievable.
User avatar
Strident
Posts: 1149
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Ship Wrecked

#2 Post by Strident »

The author, Scott, is a regular on the 8-bit adventure FB group and is active on Twitter. He's been a great help with tracking down details of Australian C64 releases, due to his publishing/distribution work.

I must update the links on the site to his blog, which seems to have moved to...
https://scottjulian.alphaworks.com.au/
User avatar
auraes
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:13 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Ship Wrecked

#3 Post by auraes »

Yeah, another person who looks very interesting. After Ship Wrecked I'll take a look at Sunken Treasure which is also very small.
For the get/drop/wear and remove actions, it precedes the action with a test which has the effect of displaying, in case of impossibility of the action, the message "I can't." instead of the dedicated messages: "It's not here.", "I don't have it." etc. I guess it's a game design choice.

Code: Select all

GET  AXE
Conditions:
  PRESENT  21 
Actions:
 GET      21 
 OK    
It also misses a lot of DONE (which is not a bug, but unwise).

Code: Select all

HELP *
 Conditions:
Actions:
MESSAGE   3
User avatar
auraes
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:13 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Ship Wrecked

#4 Post by auraes »

Strident wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:02 pm I must update the links on the site to his blog, which seems to have moved to...
https://scottjulian.alphaworks.com.au/
It seems to have moved again:
https://www.alphaworks.com.au/
https://scottjulian.au/
User avatar
Strident
Posts: 1149
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Ship Wrecked

#5 Post by Strident »

I notice on the blog in that second link that Scott details how he got approval to sell Jack Lockerby's games in Australia, something I was previously unaware of. [Or he previously told me and I just forgot... which is equally likely]
User avatar
Baggins69
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:35 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Ship Wrecked

#6 Post by Baggins69 »

Strident wrote: Thu Jan 29, 2026 9:05 am I notice on the blog in that second link that Scott details how he got approval to sell Jack Lockerby's games in Australia, something I was previously unaware of. [Or he previously told me and I just forgot... which is equally likely]
Hi Strident,

I think you noticed that on my blog but yes I was the Australian distributor for Jack's adventure games. We commenced discussions in November 1991 and came to an agreement in February 1992 (back in the days when sending letters to UK and back to Australia took a month each way LOL).

We picked up 14 of the C64 titles and we bundled these into 6 packs and sold them via mail order; although I had 6 retail shops as well stock them.

Pack #1 - Hammer of Grimmold, Matchmater, Mutant
Pack #2 - The Challenge, Lifeboat, Necklace
Pack #3 - Realm of Darkness, The Cup, Witch Hunt
Pack #4 - Miser, The Domes of Sha, Jack and the Beanstalk
Pack #5 - Into the Mystic
Pack #6 - Bounty Hunter

They sold for $15.95 per pack, free postage anywhere is Australia so 25% - 35% went of postage :)

We supplied them on disk, although I do remember making a small number of cassettes available on request.

It was 1992, and we kept them on the list of products well into 1994 (maybe early 1995) and sold between 40 - 60 units in total. Not a big number but it was the early 1990s and C64 market was shirking but I was extremely happy to offer them to our customers.

If you have any other questions please reach out.

Regards,
Scott
Playing text adventures since 1982. Still typing NORTH.
User avatar
Baggins69
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:35 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Ship Wrecked

#7 Post by Baggins69 »

auraes wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:58 pm Ship Wrecked by Gavin Ellicott & Scott Julian 1986.
A very short The Quill game with many bugs fun to fix. The author probably didn't finish his project because there are unused items and messages. The game in its current form is achievable.
Hi Auraes,

57 year on me apologises for the bugs that 15 year old me didn't fix :D
The version that is uploaded may not be the final version that we released, but may in fact the newest version I could find.

Makes me want to unpack it and fit it up. Well a future project, once I wrap up the last two VIC 20 Text adventures from 1983 / 1984 which some all but disappeared except for some rough notes. I have 4 of the 6 now pieced back together :D
Playing text adventures since 1982. Still typing NORTH.
User avatar
auraes
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:13 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Ship Wrecked

#8 Post by auraes »

I just saw your message! I don't know why I don't get notified by email when I receive a notification or a private message.

Don't apologize for the bugs, that's part of the charm and fun of many of the games we find on CASA, especially when you have access to the source code. It's a different way to play—finding bugs and fixing them—which is sometimes much more fun than the game itself.
Post Reply