Help loading a game

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Quantum

Help loading a game

#1 Post by Quantum » Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 am

Hello. This may sound like a dumb question, but how do I load a saved game from tape on a spectrum emulator? I'm using Zesarux (the only spectrum emulator with text to speech capabilities), and I've saved a position to a tape. Keep in mind I'm loading the game itself from tape. When I load the tape at the save prompt, it seems to break out of the program and return to the BASIC ROM--I think it's looking for a program on the second tape.
I also had this problem when trying to load a database from the professional Adventure Writer. (Yes, if I get this thing to work, you should expect a game to be released for the speccy eventually.)

Quantum

Re: Help loading a game

#2 Post by Quantum » Tue May 08, 2018 2:50 am

Also, why the hell hasn't anyone made an accessible Commodore 64 emulator? I'd love to be able to play some C64 adventures.

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Tue May 08, 2018 5:42 am

C64: WinVICE is very accessible, I think. Fully menu driven, and it lets you auto-run games with a few clicks.

Quantum

#4 Post by Quantum » Tue May 08, 2018 6:22 am

Gunness wrote:C64: WinVICE is very accessible, I think. Fully menu driven, and it lets you auto-run games with a few clicks.
Yes, I'm aware of vice. However, if I, for example, was to load up the Hobbit, the text would be borderline unreadable. I know of a few folks who have managed to play adventures using OCR, but honestly that's a bit too much work. That's why I love Zesarux and BeebEm, they both allow me to experience the game without requiring extra tools and various fiddly bits.

Gunness
Site Admin

#5 Post by Gunness » Tue May 08, 2018 8:54 am

Perhaps there hasn't been sufficient interest from the C64 community. I'm not aware of how many require this feature.

Alex

#6 Post by Alex » Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 pm

hobbit.png
hobbit.png (5.16 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
This is the Hobbit on the CCS64 emulator. I don't think this is unreadable.

Quantum

#7 Post by Quantum » Thu May 10, 2018 6:02 am

Alex wrote: This is the Hobbit on the CCS64 emulator. I don't think this is unreadable.
I meant, unreadable by screen readers and various assistive technologies. For most sighted folks, it's very readable.

Quantum

#8 Post by Quantum » Thu May 10, 2018 3:14 pm

But seriously, does anyone know how to load data from tape with the Zesarux emulator? This is frustrating as all get out, especially when the emulator breaks out of the current program and expects to find another program on the new tape.

Alastair

#9 Post by Alastair » Thu May 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Quantum,
I've never used Zesarux, would you post links to both the emulator and the game you are trying to play? We may then be able to work out how to get it to work properly.

Strident

#10 Post by Strident » Fri May 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Zesarux is here https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux

It's quite powerful but isn't necessarily the most user-friendly emulator.

I would personally use snapshots, rather than saves from within the program but I can understand that doing that is probably a lot easier as it integrates with the screen reader.

Unfortunately, selecting an output tape to save on, and then using that output tape as an input tape is incredibly cumbersome. I'm still looking for an option to stop autoloading on the input tape, which is what you need in order to load a game position back in.

Strident

#11 Post by Strident » Fri May 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Choose settings then storage then autoload medium off, seems to stop it resetting the machine when you try and change the input tape to the tape you've made the save on.

If you're using PAW then perhaps the +3 version would be better, as you'd have constant access to the overlays (without having to constantly load from tape) and space for database saves.