Possible problem - Loose Ends

Information from and to the site administrators.

Moderator: Alastair

equinox

Possible problem - Loose Ends

#1 Post by equinox » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:21 am

Trying to do Loose Ends (Spectrum) and part 1 solution is not working around this point:
N, E, GIVE HELM (Goliath leaves), S (charwoman leaves), N, EXAMINE SEATS, TAKE TOMATO, N, TAKE BOOK

First of all the second N seems wrong, since the seats and tomato are in the southern room, not the northern one. So I removed that. Also you don't need to TAKE TOMATO since it's done automatically when you examine the seats. So it apparently should be:
N, E, GIVE HELM (Goliath leaves), S (charwoman leaves), EXAMINE SEATS (auto-getting tomato), N, TAKE BOOK

But Goliath doesn't stay away long enough. If I do the above, he returns at TAKE BOOK and sees me, and confiscates the book. But if I try any other sequence, something else goes wrong: either he confiscates the skull, or I get to the charwoman too late and she has taken the tomato. How can I keep all the required objects?

RZX here: https://cl4.org/__STUCK_FINALISED_LooseEnds_Part1.rzx

Strident

Re: Possible problem - Loose Ends

#2 Post by Strident » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:32 am

Would be nice to get at least some confirmation that we've helped you resolve some of these issues.

Investigating this one...

Once you've given the helm to the caretaker, quickly pop to the south to scare the cleaner (and make her drop the tomato). Ignore the seats for now and go straight back to the stage, grab the book and head off to Hardy's dressing room. Strangely, although Hardy is not listed as being there, you can go through all the motions of examining the book, finding the entry on Grimes and giving him the page.

You're now left with the issue involving the skull... the caretaker will swipe that off you if you try and go past him... so drop it off in your dressing room first (I think that's the only location where you can put it down). Once you've retrieved the box from the book stall you'll be able to put the skull in the box and sneak it out past the caretaker.

equinox

Re: Possible problem - Loose Ends

#3 Post by equinox » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:03 pm

Thanks. There is indeed a game bug where it explicitly tells you that Hardy is not present, yet you can interact with him. Both parts now successfully solved.