12 Lost Souls

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

terri

#61 Post by terri » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:23 am

No, Alastair, I haven't managed to explore those other locations. I'm beginning to wonder whether I want to or not.
Ah; that's a different room (room 53 internally). You can row to room 50 (where the boat is) from room 53 (and vice versa).

I can't see how you get to the car park or the ferris wheel, and the only objects there are the boat and the iron rod. So this may be part of a puzzle that was never completed.

Note, from "The beautiful still waters of the lagoon are inviting." you can DIVE LAGOON to take you to "You are swimming in deep waters, something else swims too.".
What iron rod? How can I row without an oar?

Yes I got to the lagoon, looked at the waterbed??? and got the spirit. Then GO OUT LAGOON. What room does this get me into? How in Sam Hill is one to know one ends up in another location (if one actually does), since the descriptions are the same?

This game is becoming quite unwieldy. I appreciate your help Dave, but I don't understand how/why the code is so different from the game?

dave

#62 Post by dave » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:58 am

terri wrote:What iron rod? How can I row without an oar?
I think that we should ignore these as not completed sections of the game. I can't see anything that the iron rod can do and the boat just seems to move you between room 50 and room 53.
terri wrote:Yes I got to the lagoon, looked at the waterbed??? and got the spirit. Then GO OUT LAGOON. What room does this get me into?
If you GET OUT LAGOON you'll go to "The beautiful still waters of the lagoon are inviting."
terri wrote:This game is becoming quite unwieldy. I appreciate your help Dave, but I don't understand how/why the code is so different from the game?
I think one of the problems is that there is stuff in the code that isn't actually used, it looks like it wasn't tested very well...

razors

#63 Post by razors » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:46 pm

Sorry I have been out of the loop for a little while. I have been back through everything we have done and I have written down a partial solution which is as efficient as I can manage:

"Get hammer, N, get hymnbook, W, E, E, E, examine mountain, enter cave, get crown, give hammer to giants, E, W, S, E, get candle, W, in, give hymnbook, drop candle, get broom, get spirit, examine spirit, E, get pebbles, E, get bread, S, S, W, U, N, N, drop broom, D, give king crown, get spirit, examine spirit, W, S, U, N, W, W, N, get rentcard, get money, N, N, W, S, W, drop pebbles, enter farm, give money to man, tear up rentcard, get spirit, examine spirit, S, W, U, S, S, W, get horn, W, drop horn, W, W, get newspaper, read newspaper, drop newspaper, W, get gorse, get cloth, E, E, N, drop gorse, S, drop cloth, W, get pebbles, W, S, throw pebbles, N, N, N, E, in, give bread, in, examine safe, open safe, ten fourteen seven, open safe, get spirit, S, N, get watch, examine spirit, W, S, U, N, get fork, S, W, W, drop fork, drop pebbles, N, N, enter tower, give watch to king, S, S, E, S, get spirit, examine spirit, W, S, U
N, S, W, W"

This will get you five rescued souls and will open up the ice section without getting caught by the moaning farmer. To get the other two souls we have discovered you need to eat and examine the apple, and you need to travel to the island. However, once you go to the island and use a mystic spirit to get back you can never return, therefore the fork (pitchfork) that is dropped there can never be recovered, therefore I have included this section as an optional extra.

"get fork, S, get cloth, E, give cloth, get cochineal, W, get meat, E, undress, dive in lagoon, kill water dragon with fork, examine water, drop fork, get spirit, exam spirit, W, S, U, N, S, W, W, drop meat, drop cloth, get gorse, W, jump, drop gorse, attack cochineal, get match, E, N"

If you do the above bit and the apple you should be back at the start with seven souls having been rescued. Additionally, I have tried to contact Doreen B who mentioned 12 Lost souls on a posting she made to the "want to play" forum. She may have made some additional progress.

I have looked up Lord Robartes. He appears to have been the 1st Earl of Radnor (1606–1685) and there is a wikipedia entry about him. Despite taking part in the civil war I cannot find any mention of a steward, nor anything in his backstory that makes him a candidate for any of the objects in the game. I have tried the gold with little success. I have also been unsuccessful doing anything with the portal.

Dave, would it be possible to tell us what actions result in the creation of a mystic spirit?We can already discount the 7 we know. If the other 5 are achievable then the game is possible to complete. If not, then we are probably best off abandoning it as a bad job. My apologies for landing you all with such a rubbish piece of illogical adventure hell.

terri

#64 Post by terri » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:14 pm

Well done, razors. Your solution jibes with mine, though the order may be different.

I agree that we should try to rescue all the souls we can, and see how far we get. This game is less frustrating than it is obtuse. But Dave's help has been good, otherwise we would not know what is do-able. I was going to say that this suggests that those objects that we find which we would be very unlikely to find without his help (like the oval stone in the waterbed) are unnecessary, but a spirit is not unnecessary. Unless, of course, there are more spirits available than just the 12 we need.

(Now Holy Horrors, which Alastair enticed me to play and which despite my comments I never joined in on, appears to be a similar type of illogical adventure)... though it is more intriguing, has now been added to my increasing stack of unsolvable games. (They are now in nice, neat stacks).

So, we will plug along on this one, once in a while, given that we are all on the same page, and realize that this is a game were logic is suspended. Kinda like in real life, no.... Don't ask....But, to paraphrase an old saying "there is commonality in numbers" - yes, yes, I know I am trying hard to be mellow about this (spirit of the season?).

Gotta cook some more for Christmas Eve, and will join you again when I can (and when I am feeling even more mellow).

So what is the next game on your list? Like a New Year's resolution - something to look forward to. :roll:

dave

#65 Post by dave » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:05 pm

razors wrote:Dave, would it be possible to tell us what actions result in the creation of a mystic spirit?We can already discount the 7 we know. If the other 5 are achievable then the game is possible to complete. If not, then we are probably best off abandoning it as a bad job. My apologies for landing you all with such a rubbish piece of illogical adventure hell.
I can see stuff in the code for getting 11 spirits and one is unachievable (as you need to deal with the moaning farmer).

These are (trying to generalise, to leave some puzzles in there):
  • The Safe
  • With the Fralgs (By blowing the horn, then going to the Fralgs and picking it up this is another invisible object which you must know about)
  • The Sorrowful King
  • The King of Lancs
  • The Apple
  • The Curate
  • The Greemon
  • The Camper
  • The Hags
  • The Chest (dug up after the moaning farmer)
  • The Waterbed
So, this leads me to the conclusion that it is impossible, or that there's a bug in my decoding routines (which is possible)...

razors

#66 Post by razors » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Dave wrote:
About the mysterious giving, the code is:
Code:
IF ((((((NO2 = 38) AND VERB (VERB 23:"GIVE")) AND ADVE (ADVERB 1:"NONE")) AND NOUN (NOUN 47:"OBJECT")) AND RES? (32)) ) SET (32) MESS (MESSAGE 85:"The farmer thanks you for your gift and advises you to dig.") WAIT END
What does the NO2=38 mean at the start (nb: it has come up as a cool emoticon for some reason but it should be a 38 after the NO2=)? Is there some requirement we need to fulfill before we can trigger result 32?
If we cannot resolve the moaning farmer then he accounts for 3 of the souls we can't get (the one he gives, the chest in his field and the limb for the hags in his field).
Therefore if we have 7 and the farmer accounts for 3, that leaves two we haven't got. These are the Greemon and the Fralgs in your list. I gave the Greemon the gorse and cochineal but he didn't provide a spirit? What else do we need to do? Also, I am unlikely to work out an invisible object at the Fralgs. Do we just need to get spirit?
Don't worry about trying to preserve some puzzles. I think we are all wanting to finish this to the best of our abilities and move on.

razors

#67 Post by razors » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:44 pm

OK, I have just tried the invisible spirit and it works. Just climb the wrekin, blow the horn, go north and "get spirit". Ridiculous.
That accounts for 8 of the spirits. We know 3 are potentially unachievable that leaves only the Greemon one to discover.

Alastair

#68 Post by Alastair » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:42 pm

razors wrote:OK, I have just tried the invisible spirit and it works. Just climb the Wrekin, blow the horn, go north and "get spirit". Ridiculous.
That accounts for 8 of the spirits. We know 3 are potentially unachievable that leaves only the Greemon one to discover.
For the ninth spirit go to "Sussex, a garden of eden in all it's splendour" after you deal with the Greemon.

terri

#69 Post by terri » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:02 am

OK - so that which is do-able has been done, and no more can be done. Looks like Razors has written a solution to this point. I suggest you post it and say that it is incompletek, and likely unsolvable. I tried to read a review but my filter stopped it.

Thank you Dave for all your help. I hope you keep plugging along with us,

I have gone on the next game on Razor's list of Amstrad text adventure games - adult1. As the only female in this group (so far, though I suppose this is presumptious of me, given the use of psuedonyms), I will not take offense unless it is really raunchy. So far it's not too bad. I will post when I am stuck.

dave

#70 Post by dave » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:21 am

razors wrote:Dave wrote:
About the mysterious giving, the code is:
Code:
IF ((((((NO2 = 38) AND VERB (VERB 23:"GIVE")) AND ADVE (ADVERB 1:"NONE")) AND NOUN (NOUN 47:"OBJECT")) AND RES? (32)) ) SET (32) MESS (MESSAGE 85:"The farmer thanks you for your gift and advises you to dig.") WAIT END
What does the NO2=38 mean at the start (nb: it has come up as a cool emoticon for some reason but it should be a 38 after the NO2=)?
NO2 is the directive for the second noun; in this case noun 38 == FARMER; so this basically matches GIVE <NONE> OBJECT FARMER.

razors

#71 Post by razors » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:47 pm

Ah well, it looks like the farmer problem is insoluble then. Nevermind, I will submit the partial solution and possibly the maps to Jacob. Dave and Alastair, what are your surnames so that I can include you on the partial solution?
Terri, I have done both Adult1 and Adult2 a long time ago but never got round to typing up a solution for CASA. Let me know if you get stuck and I will start playing them again and dig out my solution. Would love to join forces on other adventures if you are interested. Let me know what you are playing and I will start it too.

razors

#72 Post by razors » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:50 pm

Also, thank you all (Dave, Terri and Alastair) for helping me out with 12 Lost Souls. I really enjoyed myself despite the game being illogical and painful. Thanks for joining in and for all your fantastic advice.

dave

#73 Post by dave » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:35 pm

razors wrote:Ah well, it looks like the farmer problem is insoluble then. Nevermind, I will submit the partial solution and possibly the maps to Jacob. Dave and Alastair, what are your surnames so that I can include you on the partial solution?
I'll IM you my full name...
razors wrote:Terri, I have done both Adult1 and Adult2 a long time ago but never got round to typing up a solution for CASA. Let me know if you get stuck and I will start playing them again and dig out my solution. Would love to join forces on other adventures if you are interested. Let me know what you are playing and I will start it too.
I've decided to join in and actually play these myself, though I'm stuck quite early on in adult1. You can lift the manhole cover, but, how do you descend (or do you need to). I'm guessing some form of light is needed.

terri

#74 Post by terri » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:15 pm

Yo Dave:
I've decided to join in and actually play these myself, though I'm stuck quite early on in adult1. You can lift the manhole cover, but, how do you descend (or do you need to). I'm guessing some form of light is needed.
Just go down. I suppose we could play this, but if Razors has already played it, it won't be as much fun - though we will alwys have help.

Regarding last names: just put first names, or pseudonyms, Razors. Usually in the order of importance (not of people, but toward the solution). Some people don't mind last names, some people do.

Re: adult 1

Stuck at the club beyond the seafront. They need a male stripper apparently.

At the pine tree that talks to you.

At the edge of the pool.

What, if at all, is the bikini good for?

How many, and what are, the red herring objects?

It was presumptuous of me to find and start the next game. This is your call - you are the one whose goal it is to play all the games - so you pick the next one. Then just give help to Dave and me.

dave

#75 Post by dave » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:41 pm

terri wrote:Manhole cover

Just go down.
It gives me a message about how it's scary down there and it doesn't want to go; I'm guessing I need some form of light.

About adult2; I've got further but I'm a bit stuck on a couple of areas: there's a couple in the house party who don't have adult orientated protection, but I can't find any form of protection around and what do I do with the lady of easy virtue.

As there's no solutions I'm happy to play them through to get the solutions on the board, we can always play others at the same time.

BTW the adventures seem to be written using the Quill