Colossal Cave - the board game

General chit-chat, ramblings, odds and ends.

Moderator: Alastair

Gunness
Site Admin

Colossal Cave - the board game

#1 Post by Gunness » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:06 am

As a huge board game fan it pleased me to no end that CC had received a board game overhaul. Sure, the game looks fairly simple, but with the right text-crowd it should be entertaining :)

Mr Creosote

Re: Colossal Cave - the board game

#2 Post by Mr Creosote » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:41 am

Funny idea, but I doubt I'd pay >350$ for that ;) I take it we will play it on the first official CASA meeting?

Gunness
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gunness » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:12 am

I believe it is/was available for a more reasonable $20 ;)

Some of these Kickstarter supporter options are fairly optimistic. When the Cinemaware folks were trying to get their Wings HD project off the ground, one of the main attractions of the "pledge $10,000" level was a "A LIMITED-EDITION military aviator leather jacket featuring authentic Wings logos and air squadron patches!". Erm... wow. I guess.

"Hi. I'm selling these fine leather jackets" :D

Mr Creosote

#4 Post by Mr Creosote » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:21 pm

The biggest problem I have with many of these Kickstarter projects is that they have plans with dependencies. "If we reach sum X, we will also do Y!" What if Y is the sole reason I want the product? If they reach the basic financial goal, but not the Y threshold, they will take my money anyway. Though I guess if anyone is willing to pay an insane amount in the thousands for something like a game, it will be pretty much unconditional ;)

Gunness
Site Admin

#5 Post by Gunness » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:30 pm

I've backed quite a few board games at this point, and I can safely say that each and every Y I've come across has been way deep within "nice, not need to have" territory :) Fun additions, better components etc., but it's the core product that people are basically paying for.
The one computer game I've supported (ah, that of your fave Broken Sword variety) simply offered a larger game if certain milestones were attained. For me, it's an engaging model. I like the bonus additions though I can certainly live without them. If they happen, great.

And from a business POV, I think it makes sense too. If your budget is raised, you can either take the additional cash and run, or you can channel it back into your project.