Crown of Mardan (BBC)

Games for Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple ][ and the rest of the 8-bit and 16-bit platforms. Pleas for help, puzzles, bug reports etc.

Moderator: Alastair

Amby

#16 Post by Amby » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:06 pm

terri wrote:There is also another "crash/freeze" when you try to chase the fox away from the grebe, who thanks you and flies off.
Hmmm, when I chase the fox away the grebe just stands there (no flying, no thanking) - also no crashing/freezing...

Gunness
Site Admin

#17 Post by Gunness » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:49 pm

Ah.... methinks you need an item to make the grebe talk to you :) Then you'll experience this bug.

Amby

#18 Post by Amby » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:58 pm

Something to look foward to then :)

I just started playing so I know I'm way behind the rest of you but I seem to be stuck: neither the bat nor the grebe will talk to me and I keep getting killed by the bear, any number of different guards, the Red Baron & by ending up trapped in a ravine. Nudge please.

terri

#19 Post by terri » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:18 am

Buy a drink first and you'll hear about the Green Baron. Buy things at the store (I bought everything but I don't know if you need everything - so far no use for the lollipop).Wait for the barge. You'll need money for a particular (illegal) action. That should keep you going for a while.

Nice to have you join us Amby. Missed you.

I agree, Jacob we should try a little longer, though if order is important (first Green, then Black), we may have to solve the problem with the chillbained dragon who is in the Black Mtns. So you may have to write for a better game.

Or we figure out how not to freeze to death in the ravine.

Or get back to the park, and then what?

Amby

#20 Post by Amby » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:59 am

Thanks - I completely forgot about the barge. I'm doing my best to get caught up. Now if I can just manage to get back after obtaining the emerald & shell without getting killed or ending right back in the storeroom...

It's good to be back Terri.

Amby

#21 Post by Amby » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:25 am

Yup, I'm getting the same crash/freeze with the fox/grebe now that I am properly equiped. Has it been decided whether or not this makes the game unwinnable?

Alastair

#22 Post by Alastair » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:59 pm

Amby wrote:Yup, I'm getting the same crash/freeze with the fox/grebe now that I am properly equiped. Has it been decided whether or not this makes the game unwinnable?
Since you have to get past the dragons and the game hangs when you get past the dragon in the cave, I think the game is unwinnable. Of the five versions I have so far found, four crash with BeebEm 3.0 and 3.11, and the fifth is in a format that BeebEm does not recognise. I will try with a different emulator.

No luck with MESS either.

Amby

#23 Post by Amby » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:33 am

I've also tried model-b without success. Rats, I was really starting to enjoy this game.

Gunness
Site Admin

#24 Post by Gunness » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:17 pm

I've contacted Stairway to Hell to hear if they know of a better version.
Meanwhile, since everybody is gathered now, how about trying a different game from MP software? I thought Sadim Castle was rather enjoyable.

Valley of the Kings and Woodland Terror seem to be in the same format, the latter is also by the same authors, so chances are that it'll be interesting too:

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/archive/diskimages/MP

terri

#25 Post by terri » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:55 am

I've taken the challenge and am already stuck. See you at the new post in the game.

Alastair

Re: Crown of Mardan (BBC)

#26 Post by Alastair » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Aran (iamaran) has discovered a version of Crown of Mardan that appears bug free. It is on the compilation disc Adventure Games Vol. 6 by Pernod.

Alastair

#27 Post by Alastair » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 pm

I've made some progress with Pernod's compilation disc version (see above for the link).

After the barge trip re-visit the general store, now that you are armed you should make some progress. However combat appears random so save the game before entering dangerous locations. Due to the nature of save-states if you lose a battle you should not repeat your actions exactly when you re-load the save-state but do something different (e.g., taking your inventory) before re-entering the dangerous location.

So now I'm stuck and my main questions are:
1. How do you deal with the red dragon?
2. How do you retrieve the diamond from the icy lake?

Alastair

#28 Post by Alastair » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:52 pm

I've dealt with the red dragon. The diamond remains a problem.

Alastair

#29 Post by Alastair » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Finished!

I'll post a solution, etc., soon, but in the meantime I'll leave you with the hint 'green, white, red, black.'

Pernod

#30 Post by Pernod » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:16 am

Alastair wrote:Aran (iamaran) has discovered a version of Crown of Mardan that appears bug free. It is on the compilation disc Adventure Games Vol. 6 by Pernod.
Glad to have helped you out with this. Can't believe you've waited 7 years to complete the game, don't think I ever played it myself. I've had that version for over 25 years but only made my collection publicly available last year.